Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent snow and freezing conditions I have been using wheel chocks when I park at the end of the day rather risk the EPB freezing. However, I find you can only disengage the EPB while the car is on. This means I have to get out of the car to deploy the chocks while it's still running.

What is the P release button for and how do you use it? I'm not sure whether this relates to the EPB or Park on the drive selector. I've searched the manual high and low but can't find any reference to it.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
With the recent snow and freezing conditions I have been using wheel chocks when I park at the end of the day rather risk the EPB freezing. However, I find you can only disengage the EPB while the car is on. This means I have to get out of the car to deploy the chocks while it's still running.

What is the P release button for and how do you use it? I'm not sure whether this relates to the EPB or Park on the drive selector. I've searched the manual high and low but can't find any reference to it.
It disengage the transmission lock, not the EPB.
It only operates in very specific conditions, I remember using it successfully when playing with the car when it was new 馃榿
Do you need chocks, is the transmission lock not sufficient?

Registered
Hi James... no, I know which button that is and I use it from time-to-time. It's the small button below the shift selector labelled 'P RELEASE'.
this is not a button, its a cover to access the manual release for the parking brake on the gearbox/electric motor when there is a power failure/ disconnect to push the car around.

Registered
I'm the old Kia Soul, you can park with the auto handbrake OFF by simultaneously holding down the parking brake toggle and switching off. Does your car allow for the same?

jim5452

I think you need to watch this

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
this is not a button, its a cover to access the manual release for the parking brake on the gearbox/electric motor when there is a power failure/ disconnect to push the car around.
I think you are confusing parking brake (operates on the rear wheels) with the transmission lock (operates on the transmission).
This is the same as any automatic car.
I would not like to leave the car in <P> without the parking brake applied as there is a risk of putting a lot of strain on the locking pawl.

Registered
Mmmm馃

I can't find any mention of that button in the manual, but this is what it does say about the EPG during freezing conditions...

6-130
"Don't let your parking brake
freeze

Under some conditions your parking brake can freeze in the engaged posi鈥 tion. This is most likely to happen when there is an accumulation of snow or ice around or near the rear brakes or if the brakes are wet. If there is a risk the parking brake may freeze, apply it only Temporarily while you put the shifter d dial in P and block the rear wheels so the vehicle cannot roll. Then release the parking brake."

Reactions: Gary J
1 - 11 of 11 Posts