Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home tonight with the engine running EML came on and I now have a P0011 error (amongst the usual others, P1E00, P1EE6, P0CD2). Having a search on the Chevy Volt forum it comes back as the camshaft position sensor. Doing a search on here brings back a couple of posts by yours truly under the steering column lock fault as an additional code stored. I've had this sensor replaced under warranty before but the car is now out of warranty. Looking at a Youtube clip for another GM engine it looks relatively straightforward to replace it. What I am wondering is that if I clear the codes currently stored, I know it won't sort the issue, and if it does not come back relatively quickly then I know there is nothing immediately needing attention and it can wait until the next service. Any comments, yay or nay?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable plan, it's only going to impact on the VVT on my other car that has VVT if the sensor fails it just locks out the VVT at the safe end so no real impact IF it's the same for the Ampera.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would suspect if your crankshaft position sensor is actually bad then the engine will not run because it will not know when to put fuel, spark, etc in. Fair chance it is just a glitch. If it comes back eventually it may be an intermittent sensor issue.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Do you have the original Delco 12V battery fitted? Swap it out if so. Ageing 12V causes no end of error messages of all shapes & sizes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just had the MIL come on - not used engine at all for ages. The codes seemed to quickly change from
P0cca
P0cd2
P04cb
B2aaa
P0ac4
P1e00

on 2nd read changed to just
P0ac4
P1e00

12v showing 12.3 but dropped to under 12v with headlights on. Connected battery charger and will probably order a replacement battery.

Hoping this is all it is... @h8ten did you measure your 12v voltage?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Torque is showing just under 12v before powering up and 13.5 up to just over 14 when powered on. It is the original battery, I have a new one waiting to be put in so probably better getting it done sooner rather than later. I think that the battery is lasting because the only time the car is not plugged in or running is when I am at work and then it is only for 4 hours Tuesday to Friday (I work full-time but 1 day at home and the car is on charge in the afternoon at work) so the battery will be getting topped up when the car is running and the occasional top up when it is plugged in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Under 12v is too low - if you have one you might as well fit it! I think i'll go for a Bosch S5 027 from EuroCarParts for £83 at the moment. Though will wait until the morning to see if the overnight conditioning charge has cured the error codes.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the battery that I have and also got it from ECP when they had one of their 'sales' on. I will pop it on charge before I fit it to make sure it is up to speed.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And this morning, EML has decided that it's not needed this morning, all out and under control. I forgot to scan the codes to see if it has gone so I will need to do that on the way home tonight.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Torque is showing just under 12v before powering up... It is the original battery, I have a new one waiting to be put in so probably better getting it done sooner rather than later...
later will not do. You are seriously risking bricking your car every time you plug it in to charge & the lead acid battery is under 12V. That's how my contactors got wrecked & the car bricked. Swap it today. Do not wait.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
These low temperatures are going to find the weak batteries!

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just changed mine. Made the mistake of letting the boot unlock keylessly thus the car was still locked so after I disconnected the 12v the alarm went off. I guess it has a backup battery for it. Kept going too until I finished the job! Took much longer than I expected - at least 30 mins, my old Accord was a 10 min job max.

Hopefully it'll clear the error codes...

I struggled a bit getting the boot tray out, basically the entire piece comes out WITH the top carpeted part which is velcroed to the rear seat backs. I was expecting it to seperate into two pieces. Could have saved 10 mins had I known.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Lol, I bet your neighbours love you! I also found the carpeted part annoying but tied it out of the way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lol, I bet your neighbours love you! I also found the carpeted part annoying but tied it out of the way.
Luckily it was middle of the afternoon on a quiet road near work - or i'd have been well embarrassed! Then when you connect the 12v battery again the cars horn joins in (it has two alarm sirens - the horn is much louder!) but at least then I could turn it off with fob :whistle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts