Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend any specific ‘Paint protection film’ for the bottom of the rear tailgate. It’s showing signs of micro scratches already. Yes I know how to close it without touching the paint but other people unfortunately are not so careful. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can anyone recommend any specific ‘Paint protection film’ for the bottom of the rear tailgate. It’s showing signs of micro scratches already. Yes I know how to close it without touching the paint but other people unfortunately are not so careful. Thanks.
Paint work very flimsy. I bought Kia rear bumper protector from dealer. It looks to be just a transparent film applied over the rear bumper.
May help you.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
909 Posts
I scratched mine the first day I got it by closing the tailgate In the normal way one would expect to. The slightest finger nail pressure does it. Then I discovered the plastic finger slot recess on the lower edge of the tailgate which I’ve used ever since to slam it down. It’s a poor design and the paint is super soft.

I polished the scratches out with Autoglym paint restorer. Then protected the entire car with Autoglym resin polish followed by Autoglym ceramic coating. I think scratches will happen to it again sooner or later. Adding a protective film of some kind to the tailgate lower centre is a good idea. Peter

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I scratched mine the first day I got it by closing the tailgate In the normal way one would expect to. The slightest finger nail pressure does it. Then I discovered the plastic finger slot recess on the lower edge of the tailgate which I’ve used ever since to slam it down. It’s a poor design and the paint is super soft.

I polished the scratches out with Autoglym paint restorer. Then protected the entire car with Autoglym resin polish followed by Autoglym ceramic coating. I think scratches will happen to it again sooner or later. Adding a protective film of some kind to the tailgate lower centre is a good idea. Peter
Yes the paint seems very soft. It’s only noticeable up close so I might try polishing it out. There are a lot of protective films on Amazon etc but I’ve no idea if any are any good. The problem is that you will never train other people not to close it by not pulling down on the edge.

·
Registered
458 Posts
3M Ventureshield is the one my Detailer uses.

They have templates for specific cars, you would need to find out if they have ones for your car.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Yes the paint seems very soft. It’s only noticeable up close so I might try polishing it out. There are a lot of protective films on Amazon etc but I’ve no idea if any are any good. The problem is that you will never train other people not to close it by not pulling down on the edge.
It’s weird, I’m pretty sure every hatchback I’ve owned had the grab handle on the inside of the boot lid, how can it be an unknown thing to most people, are they just not bothered about getting wet and mucky hands??

·
Registered
620 Posts
It’s weird, I’m pretty sure every hatchback I’ve owned had the grab handle on the inside of the boot lid, how can it be an unknown thing to most people, are they just not bothered about getting wet and mucky hands??
My last 2 hatchbacks didn't have one. It's also not useful when holding heavy bags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts