Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
From those with experience of the car (First Edition or 4), how is the paint ?
Is it worth getting paint protection applied to it?

I wouldn't get it from the dealer, but still wondering whether it is worth it...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Didn't do mine. One or two very minor and unlucky chips on bonnet but other than that, it seems to be holding up pretty well so far. I just keep it clean, clay or polish out any crap and give it some wax when it needs waterproofing again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From a dealer, no. Never. I ask them not to even wash a car. They’ve just not got the time to be meticulous.

From a detailer, possibly. This can get pricey but worth it.

DIY, well that’s what I’ve been doing since 2007. I read up on Supagard and decided to spend a few quid on decent kit instead. With some of the ceramic/quartz coatings available now, it’s very easy to put durable coatings on your car. Downside is that I have to do this on both cars we own, and I’ll never visit a car wash again.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
There are two main forms of Paint Protection.

A PPF wrap. This lasts 3 years and is plastic clear (but you can have any colour or pattern) and can self repair. Costs are high if you want it well done and the whole car, hence why some people only get the front bumper/bonnet done. Get it professionally applied - so many horror stories about people getting cheap wraps, just google it.

A Ceramic Coating. This can last up to 7 years depending on the make of the coating. If applied by a professional you will get a warranty too. I've had Gtechniq applied to two of my cars. It makes it dead easy to wash, protects against pigeon shit better, and makes the car paint really pop! Cheaper than PPF by a lot. Downside is that it only improves chip protection by a fraction if at all, compared to PPF.

Therefore if you want the best ... get the front wrapped then the whole car (including the wrap) Ceramic coated. You cannot do it the other way around as the PPF won't stick to the Ceramic protection. This obviously costs more than just CC, but still cheaper than a full PPF wrap.

Unless you park your car under a tree I would just get a front end PPF wrap for a Niro

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
145 Posts
There are a couple of issues with what Gdank has said - although he isn't wrong.
PPF - potentially, depending on how its been applied you have to be careful with pressure washers as they can peel the PPF off the car. Otherwise its the best protection. Expensive
Ceramic - for the warranty to apply they have to be maintained. You cannot take the car to a hand wash site as the stuff they spray on at the beginning can strip the ceramic and you ought to be using PH Neutral soaps as well as maintenance sprays (as far as I can tell). Do your research but whilst it lasts the car cleans easily, and really shines.
Wax - Lasts a few months
Pain Sealant - sort of a poor mans half way house between wax and ceramic. Lasts 6+ months but is much cheaper than ceramic. Can be applied quickly and easily. Does not look as good as Ceramic and is not as hydrophobic - but does help protect the paint.

What to use depends on how meticulous a washer (of the car) you are, what you want and use.

[From my research, still ongoing. I have 5 months before the car arrives]. Still don't know what I am going to do

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Ceramic - for the warranty to apply they have to be maintained. You cannot take the car to a hand wash site as the stuff they spray on at the beginning can strip the ceramic and you ought to be using PH Neutral soaps as well as maintenance sprays (as far as I can tell). Do your research but whilst it lasts the car cleans easily, and really shines.
I'll only say yes a yearly visit for the warranty however my guy does it free unless it needs a top up... Which it hasn't in 2 years.
But you don't get a hand wash from drive through not because of the chemicals, as the ceramic will protect against anything they use, but more because they use dirty cloths which has micro dirt (or large dirt if really bad washers) which will scratch your black plastic or other non paint areas.

In fact if you want to keep the paint looking good on any car, always wash yourself.... First a jet wash, then foam, then jet wash, then a bucket with soap.... Rise the cloth in another bucket of just water... So the dirt is captured in the 2nd bucket (rinse and repeat only washing one panel at a time).... Then jet wash again.
Finally dry with clean microfiber cloths (always wash afterwards)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would always get paint protection done, and always use a pro detailer.

we had the Zoe done in August, and I put a film together of the work involved and the process, if you’re interested the link is here (it’s a non monetised channel that I do just for fun).

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
The worst is a mechanical car wash ... will scratch all that paint.

Drive through or park and clean places just used the same dirty water with the "washing cloths" in them all day.

All that dirt creates the swirls you see on paint.

It's also why you should always requests your car unpreped outside ... even inside if you can afford it. Many a Lambo get's delivered to a detailer totally unprepared. Because even the best car company use generic car wash methods and will cause swirls.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
145 Posts
Had a dealer salesman telling me the other day that they put a ceramic coat on the car during their £500 paint protection. I think he mentioned GTechnic - but I am getting old and I am not sure

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I pay £1000 for my car ... so either I'm being robbed blind ... or £500 is quick once over.

Although I think it's around £750 for the car, the rest is for windows, leather, plastics, and wheels too.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nissan use Supagard paint protection, now branded as Nissan. As far as I am concerned it is little short of a scam. You get the car treated, a posh bag of cleaning products and warranty - which isn't transferable without paying a registration fee.

I declined it when I bought the last one, despite the salesman going on about how it increases the value of the vehicle at trade-in (really?). I told him him that it had zero added value as far as I could see. He was so desperate to get the commission on it that he threw it in for free by discounting the car by the same amount as it cost.

As far as i can see, it is really an insurance product with a high commission for the salesman, and a bag of cleaning stuff thrown in for free (and presumably, cleaning products used when the dealer first valets the car).

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I didn't want to say ... because I'm sure there are some good dealerships out there, but ALL after sales extras direct from the dealer are there to boost their bottom line and are generally not good vavle.

I got offered GAP insurance on my Jag for £1000. for 3 years. Cost me £350 on google.

Kia / Jag both offered my Paint Protection Ceramic Coat. The Jag was £2500 and the Kia was £1500. I Payed £1200 for the Jag and £1000 for the Kia.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
279 Posts
After I get mine (hopefully next week!) I am just going to apply Autoglym super resin polish followed by their Extra goss protection. A simple two step process which I’ve used for years it works very well. May need re doing at one or two year intervals. All Autoglym stuff is very very good and highly recommended. OK, it’s not a ceramic coating or wrap but it’s an enjoyable good bit of exercise and very much cheaper.

Peter

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After I get mine (hopefully next week!) I am just going to apply Autoglym super resin polish followed by their Extra goss protection. A simple two step process which I’ve used for years it works very well. May need re doing at one or two year intervals. All Autoglym stuff is very very good and highly recommended. OK, it’s not a ceramic coating or wrap but it’s an enjoyable good bit of exercise and very much cheaper.

Peter
How do you apply it? Do you need special tools?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The cost of the items to do the protection is pretty insignificant.

the real art of this is in the prep.

the dealer will wash the car and apply the coat, time allocated 20 to 30 mins according to someone who used to do it.

a professional such as the one @Gdank used will take at least 6 hours, maybe 8 correcting all the factory paint defects, swirls, removing contamination etc before even thinking of applying the coating.

the film I put together earlier in this thread is the condensed version of a 7 hour day for the valeter who did my car (not ceramic coated, which is much more expensive for the stuff plus needs someone who knows what their doing to apply it. My tame valeter is not authorised by gtechniq to apply certain of their coatings for example)

I would always go for a paint protection coating but wouldn’t let the dealer do it (I don’t even let them wash my cars when they are in for service)

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
279 Posts
How do you apply it? Do you need special tools?
Nope not at all. Just small clean slightly moist cotton cloth pad to apply. It becomes soggy in use and that’s fine. Don't apply with a large cloth as it just soaks up the application. Be very careful not to drop it on the ground, if you do, clean away all traces of grit before continuing. Let it dry maybe 10 mins then gently polish off with another clean and soft cloth. Just like any traditional car polish. The Extra gloss protection stuff is same but easier. It’s a thin liquid that is applied easily and dries quickly. Then gently buff off with soft cloth. Microfibre cloths seem very suitable.
Obviously, car must be washed and dried immediately before starting. Any dust or dirt present will cause scratches etc. After washing, dry with a large microfibre car towel. They are a fantastic thing to own for future washing. Massively better than old chamois leather etc.

For regular washing, use Autoglym car shampoo. It enhances the protection and the shine.

Avoid mechanical car washes and household detergent like the plague!

Peter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts