Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether anyone is actively considering painting the brake calipers? I've done it in the past with Hammerite. It should last a long time because with driving an EV the brakes won't get as hot as those in an ICE, and won't be ejecting hot brake dust which can pit the surface finish.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was wondering whether anyone is actively considering painting the brake calipers? I've done it in the past with Hammerite. It should last a long time because with driving an EV the brakes won't get as hot as those in an ICE, and won't be ejecting hot brake dust which can pit the surface finish.
That is a very good point about brake heat not being generated so much with an EV, so painting the Calipers should last quite long.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why not take the calipers off and have them professionally powder coated? I have used these people before and they do a really good job:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
After all, you can probably do without your car for a few days at the moment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why not take the calipers off and have them professionally powder coated? I have used these people before and they do a really good job:

Suspect they might be closed for a while?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That would be ideal but it would require having them entirely removed, stripped down, powder coating, rebuilding with all new seals, and refitting.. Probably a total cost of 600++ for all four.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
That would be ideal but it would require having them entirely removed, stripped down, powder coating, rebuilding with all new seals, and refitting.. Probably a total cost of 600++ for all four.
Powder coating would give the best result without a doubt, but you would need a total strip and rebuild to achieve this.
Could have warranty implications also ?.
Hammerite would be okay, but you can get purpose made brake calliper paint.
I think they would look good painted in colour, what colour are you thinking of going for ?.
Pretty easy job while the callipers are fairly new, no scale or rust to contented with.
Quick clean down with some carb or brake cleaner and your away to go !.
Red callipers would look good on Black car.
Red or royal blue on the white or blue model.
Not sure on the Dynamic Red model ?.
Red callipers could clash with the body colour maybe.
What about blue, or even black.
What do you think folks ?:unsure:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can get purpose made brake calliper paint.
I think they would look good painted in colour, what colour are you thinking of going for ?.
Pretty easy job while the callipers are fairly new, no scale or rust to contented with.
Quick clean down with some carb or brake cleaner and your away to go !.
Red callipers would look good on Black car.
Red or royal blue on the white or blue model.
Not sure on the Dynamic Red model ?.
Red callipers could clash with the body colour maybe.
What about blue, or even black.
What do you think folks ?:unsure:
I didn't think to look for caliper-specific paint. Indeed, the sooner you do it the better whilst the surface is fresh.

I think I would have to go with either black or really bright red if the car is dynamic red. I think yellow might be look good to be in complete contrast, but I'm not brave enough to try. Still, if you didn't like it you could repaint.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Are the calipers shiny/dull metallic finish. Basically a protective finish? If so, as well as cleaning and degreasing, you probably need an etch primer to ensure adhesion of any subsequent paint.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
To me yellow or red (unless to match the colour of the car) on anything other than a performance car look stupid. But it is your car and it's your opinion that matters.(y)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Black gloss would look good I think.
It’s far from a sports model, so nothing that would make it look to “Boy Racer” style.
Less is more - maybe.
The Dynamic Red is set off nice against the black contrast colours of the body trim and even the interior of the car.
The wheels are silver ( alloy ) with black accents.
Yeah, black gloss would properly be my first choice.
Yellow ........ Bit to much over the top for me anyway.
The body colour would be really nice.
Painting them another colour red, may give the impression that some body has made a poor choice to try and match the body colour.
For me, it has to be a bang on colour match, or go completely the other way.
Hence my choice is black, sorry ;).

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Just be careful, it may not be as good as that states:
The Halfords High Temperature Engine Enamel paint has been specially formulated to withstand temperatures of up to 200°C.
Personally I would not use engine paint as it is likely to be less resistant to the trials that a caliper goes through.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts