Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an EV question as such, but its a problem on my 2017 Leaf.

I recently purchased my first Leaf and gave it a good wash today. Its in great condition overall but I spotted some paint missing at the bottom front corner of the passenger door. On closer inspection, the door is rubbing on the front wing when opening and closing.

The problem can be seen in the pics with the panel gap all wrong at the lower end of the door. I don't think its accident damage as the seam sealer etc is still covering everything. It probably left the factory that way.

I think the easiest solution is to move the wing forward a bit. Anyone know if this is difficult? It looks like there are a few bolts on the bottom of the wing, are there others that would need loosening?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it does look like there was some work done in that area, but I can see any obvious signs. I'm far from an expert, though.

There are a few bolts on the bottom of the wing that I'll loosen and see if there is any movement. 2mm max will do.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4+
25 Posts
Just call into a local cheap body shop and get a quote .
It will need to have door and wing painted where they have touched or they will corroded.
By the look of it I would say £250 area should get it sorted for good .
Adjust wing
Clean and prep area to paint area .
Gl

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just call into a local cheap body shop and get a quote .
It will need to have door and wing painted where they have touched or they will corroded.
By the look of it I would say £250 area should get it sorted for good .
Adjust wing
Clean and prep area to paint area .
Gl
While I'm a bit OCD about my cars, I'm hoping to just paint the little bit if damage once I get the wing moved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would bug me .
Every time I walked past the car.
I'm the same, I'm going to shell out £150 to fix 2 dings on the drivers side body work as they are really annoying me.

This paint missing (while more serious) is on the passenger side so I can't see it all that often🙂. Once the area is safe from rust, I'm hoping it won't bother me too much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the panel gap sorted today in about 30 seconds. A few wallops of a hammer on a well placed wedge of wood on the inner wing (with the door half opened) quickly fixed it. Now I just need to fix the paint, which will be a lot more difficult.

I'm fairly convinced that the issue was there since new and was not caused by having bodywork done in that area. Absolutely none of the usual telltale signs. It was just a poor fit from the factory, I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got the panel gap sorted today in about 30 seconds. A few wallops of a hammer on a well placed wedge of wood on the inner wing (with the door half opened) quickly fixed it. Now I just need to fix the paint, which will be a lot more difficult.

I'm fairly convinced that the issue was there since new and was not caused by having bodywork done in that area. Absolutely none of the usual telltale signs. It was just a poor fit from the factory, I think.

View attachment 141324
I wouldn’t be surprised if that misalignment was there from factory. I’ve noticed loads and loads of Leaf’s have unaligned bonnets (really noticeable around the bonnet to charge flap on the left), bumper to wing steps in the alignment, rear bumper too, I pushed my right wing to bumper in by hand and it squared up because it’s just clips there.

So I guess a misalignment onto the sill and door adjustment not fitting is probably from factory. These UK Leaf are probably thrown together compared to the Japanese builds.

I found yesterday in my 2017 leaf under the boot carpet the original factory QC tick sheet from when it would have been on the shop floor and testing stage before despatch, ha!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. It looks like the bottom rear of the wing has moved towards the centre of the car.
Look like the panel under the door is slightly out of line too.
Yes, the panel gap between the lower wing & sill is completely wrong. TBH, it can't be seen at all unless you get down on your knees. The missing paint is very obvious, unfortunately.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn’t be surprised if that m..........
... original factory QC tick sheet from when it would have been on the shop floor and testing stage before despatch, ha!
Yes, as I said earlier there is no sign at all of any accident damage so it's likely there since the factory.

I suppose it possible that the wing got a small push from the front somehow, or maybe up from underneath but, again, I see no signs of this on the paint or seam sealer etc. The stone chip line underneath the sill does look a little out of line between the wing and door, dunno if that indicates both were once in line.

Anyway, I'm happy enough now the original problem is fixed, just need to fix the paint.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,907 Posts
Has the car been clumsily jacked up at some point maybe?

Your well aimed blows with the wood/hammer have definitely improved things though. 👍

·
Registered
E-Niro 4+
25 Posts
Take back to garage get it done under warranty .
If there is no sign of damage they should have it repaired for you for free.
It needs painted really or corrosion will start on wing or door

1 - 20 of 23 Posts