Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the video of the Norwegian fella camping out in the Soul EV (mk1) and saw that his car had a pano roof. I like!

But I can't see any UK cars with it. (Nor the all-black paint job that his had.)

Is it a trim-level option or was this limited to certain markets only?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Just watched the video of the Norwegian fella camping out in the Soul EV (mk1) and saw that his car had a pano roof. I like!

But I can't see any UK cars with it. (Nor the all-black paint job that his had.)

Is it a trim-level option or was this limited to certain markets only?
Never seen one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It’s one (just one) of the annoying things that various markets bring to us......I get really annoyed that the majority of U.K. market cars are unavailable with light interiors where as most in the EU/RoW are available with light interiors, the same old excuse is repeated by the manufacturers saying it’s not demanded here, well if they gave the option maybe it would be......and I come from 35 years in major manufacturer R&D and Design.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sun roof was never offered in the UK. There are a very small amount of UK cars that do have light grey leather seats rather than the standard light grey cloth. They also have cooled and heated front seats (standard are heated only) and heated rear seats. They are all 27kWh cars, and there are literally about 7 that Kia UK brought in.

Aside from these rare few cars, there’s just the one spec and 3 colour choices.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
Reminds me of the story of the shop assistant at Woolworths who, when asked for a particular item, said "We don't stock it as there's no demand. Funny, though, you're the fourth person to ask for one this week"!

The other one is when the Marketing Manager was asked how they assessed the demand, he said "The demand is what I say it is". I think that's the problem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Biggest frustration is dealers not bothering with type approval for tow bars citing no demand. Loads of people would like the option of a tow bar mounted bike rack and don’t want to be lugging bikes up onto a roof. Camping is popular and therefore plenty of people have camping trailers. I’m sure the car would be capable of pulling 300-400kg.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Biggest frustration is dealers not bothering with type approval for tow bars citing no demand. Loads of people would like the option of a tow bar mounted bike rack and don’t want to be lugging bikes up onto a roof. Camping is popular and therefore plenty of people have camping trailers. I’m sure the car would be capable of pulling 300-400kg.
Wow, off topic again!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow, off topic again!
OK, so this was off topic re the OP’s question, but I was replying to Boxbrownie and Ian L’s subsequent comments, and I had first replied directly to the OP’s question. Yes, I did elaborate beyond the roof question to the OP to also mention the available UK specs more generally. I thought this might be of interest and the OP did give it a thumbs up so hopefully this was not taken as universally irrelevant 😀

If my wanderings off topic have annoyed you, then sorry 👍

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
OK, so this was off topic re the OP’s question, but I was replying to Boxbrownie and Ian L’s subsequent comments, and I had first replied directly to the OP’s question. Yes, I did elaborate beyond the roof question to the OP to also mention the available UK specs more generally. I thought this might be of interest and the OP did give it a thumbs up so hopefully this was not taken as universally irrelevant 😀

If my wanderings off topic have annoyed you, then sorry 👍
I've liked your reply because yes offtopics can be a bit of fun

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I do appreciate extra context on these things - especially from people who have driven/seen more of these cars than me. :)

I suppose I've got at least 2 months (with current regulations and practicalities) to wise up before buying Soul/Ioniq/Zoe, and I'm starting from scratch. When Bjorn slept under the stars in the mountains in the Soul EV I thought the pano roof was brilliant, and worth getting if possible. Oh well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts