Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking I should close the shade on the panoramic roof when I park in this hot weather to stop the car heating up quite so much in the sun. But also, maybe it doesn’t make enough of a difference to be worth remembering to do… hard to tell. What do the rest of you do?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
137 Posts
Thought the same couple days ago and closed the shade. Not that it helped much...

Reactions: loggamatt

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's a bit counter-intuitive on a sunroof, but the first sign of sun and mine is closed, to reduce the greenhouse effect inside the car a little bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe one of those reflective windscreen shades would help to keep the car a tad cooler and I don’t mean attaching it to the roof either.😳

·
Registered
248 Posts
Maybe one of those reflective windscreen shades would help to keep the car a tad cooler and I don’t mean attaching it to the roof either.😳
External shading is what you need, doesn't matter whether the blind is open or closed the heats already come in. I don't know why so many cars have them now, the wifes XC90 is a right blinking pain when its been sat in the sun

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,265 Posts
Internal reflective shading/insulation seems to work for Bjørn Nyland - he seems to swear by the ones he uses on the glass roofs in various Teslas. Perhaps at some point similar model specific products will become available for the ID cars.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It does seem to be standard fitment on higher spec cars of every make though, much better off having taller side windows to get a feeling of airiness than a panoramic sun roof. Mind you it's almost impossible to get a five seat car anymore, even the 2nd row middle seat on the new XC90 is crap compared to the previous model. Practicality seems to matter less and less to designers.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's there because it tells your mates that you specced the posh roof which in turns makes you feel a little bit better about yourself and the product you therefore spent cash on.

I liked the airy feel the one in my Mk7 estate had but then you could open the first half and let out the warm air, something lost on these one piece roofs.

Oh and I never specced mine, it was an ex-demo but that didn't stop my mates thinking I'd specced the posh one and feeling better about myself...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts