Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the look of the ioniq 5 and it ticks most of my (and the family's!) boxes but one thing the kids have requested is a sunroof but I can't see any mention of that for UK cars. Is it available as an option over here? Does seem odd that there are so many variations depending on what country the car is going to.

Oh, and sort of related, I assume a roof is rated for a roof rack?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes the pano roof on the Ioniq 5 is stunning with a nice internal electronic sunblind but in their infinite wisdom Hyundai have decided not to offer it in the UK but other world markets.
They did something similar with Kona where the sunroof was never available here but after 3 years or so they now offer it on the top model.
So it will probably come as an option but not for a year or two.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the pano roof on the Ioniq 5 is stunning with a nice internal electronic sunblind but in their infinite wisdom Hyundai have decided not to offer it in the UK but other world markets.
They did something similar with Kona where the sunroof was never available here but after 3 years or so they now offer it on the top model.
So it will probably come as an option but not for a year or two.
That is a real bummer - I can see the logic of not offering the solar roof but with our generally gloomy climate a glass roof makes a car interior so much nicer! Was probably the only thing I loved about our old Renault scenic 😂

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would have ordered a "5" Ultimate if the pano roof had been available in the UK.

I've always have a glass roof of some description on all the cars I've owned.
The fact that its available everywhere else in the world, including RHD Australia, is just ridiculous.
Your not telling me the UK market for EV's is smaller than Australia.

You can see from most of the initial publicity photos that the 5's interior has been designed to be light and airy with nearly all the interior shots showing the pano roof which makes the decision not to offer it here even more daft.
The bottom line is how many people spending £48K on an "Ultimate" 5 will what to spec the car as they please - not how Hyundai UK think they should spec it.
This is not a cheap car.
Its a bit like the 45, how many UK 45 owners would rather have had the pano roof rather than the PV roof .....its just crazy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would have ordered a "5" Ultimate if the pano roof had been available in the UK.

I've always have a glass roof of some description on all the cars I've owned.
The fact that its available everywhere else in the world, including RHD Australia, is just ridiculous.
Your not telling me the UK market for EV's is smaller than Australia.

You can see from most of the initial publicity photos that the 5's interior has been designed to be light and airy with nearly all the interior shots showing the pano roof which makes the decision not to offer it here even more daft.
The bottom line is how many people spending £48K on an "Ultimate" 5 will what to spec the car as they please - not how Hyundai UK think they should spec it.
This is not a cheap car.
Its a bit like the 45, how many UK 45 owners would rather have had the pano roof rather than the PV roof .....its just crazy.
Yes I would have gone for pano roof rather than PV roof on P45 had it been available, especially as car will be kept in garage. Perhaps the number of RHD cars is small in comparison to LHD production. Never seem to get the full package in the UK.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally happy with the solar roof .I . look forward to monitoring the Benefits. I am aware that you can check on the solar energy gained over a period of time .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Perhaps the number of RHD cars is small in comparison to LHD production. Never seem to get the full package in the UK.
Australia is RHD - and they get it.

So it’s purely a UK decision.

I appreciate some people would prefer the PV's – I’m not even sure if the PV roof is available in the UK after the 45 edition runs out.
It certainly doesn't seem our "Ultimate" trim is that ultimate.
I would just like the choice on a £48k car.
Especially when our European neighbours can spec it on even the lowliest versions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Australia is RHD - and they get it.

So it’s purely a UK decision.

I appreciate some people would prefer the PV's – I’m not even sure if the PV roof is available in the UK after the 45 edition runs out.
It certainly doesn't seem our "Ultimate" trim is that ultimate.
I would just like the choice on a £48k car.
Especially when our European neighbours can spec it on even the lowliest versions.
I don't understand the UK decision . Strange and no explanation.. My feeling is this could all change later.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't understand the UK decision . Strange and no explanation.. My feeling is this could all change later.
Lets hope so ...... if it doesn't get added soon I'm pinning my hopes on the Genesis GV60 - I can't imagine the upmarket version of the "5" won't have a sunroof / pano roof as an option.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree the PV roof is a bit of a gimmick but having gone through the pain of flat 12v batteries on the Golf GTE and e-Kona I'm hoping it will help.
It's the absence of the built-in dashcam that makes no sense to me (and is the most irritating omission).
Hyundai UK always seem to drop the ball when it comes to options: My 2018 Premium SE e-Kona arrived without speed limit recognition and after a lot of grumbling was offered its enablement for an extra £160.
The Dashcam function's omission means I am going to have to trail a load of ugly wires and have part of my view out of the windscreen obscured to fit an after market one ...hmmmm

·
Registered
297 Posts
I contacted Hyundai UK before the P45's were built to see if they would add the dash cam option onto the car - They flatly refused stating that the spec was finalised and could NOT be changed.

I would have gladly paid to have the option (it's an option in Korea as bizarrely it needs an additional Battery ??) Failing that why not put a usb port next to the interior rear view mirror...

Hyundai and KIA make some strange choices for the UK market..

·
Registered
389 Posts
I contacted Hyundai UK before the P45's were built to see if they would add the dash cam option onto the car - They flatly refused stating that the spec was finalised and could NOT be changed.

I would have gladly paid to have the option (it's an option in Korea as bizarrely it needs an additional Battery ??) Failing that why not put a usb port next to the interior rear view mirror...

Hyundai and KIA make some strange choices for the UK market..
It does seem very bizarre to me that almost all EV’s these days have a full array of cameras and usually a large digital data storage system yet very few manufactures have joined the dots and offer a built in dash cam and / or motion sensing camera capture alarm system – is it really so difficult make these available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts