Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Hmm.

So it won't need a charger as it's pure battery-swap which suggests very little other than battery and motors. It will be horribly unbalanced (not sure I buy the "90% of corners favour this weight distribution" line, or we'd see all the cars unbalanced like that).

Good luck to him and I suspect that they can come up with something better than "mechanical arms" for the battery when they stop and think about it. Could make the pitstop quicker than the pressure-limited refuelling if they did it right (45 seconds or so would be good - think Tesla's demonstration with the robot unscrewing the floor was about 90 seconds).

·
Registered
981 Posts
There have a team of mechanics on hand - Sod electric arms and spensing money developing all that malarkly.
It just needs to work like replacing a laptop battery.
Unclip a couple of fasteners, maybe pull a lever to lower down some bogey wheels, wheel out the battery, in wheel the new battery, pull the lever to raise the bogeys, clip the fasteners and drive off again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I would assume the battery will need active cooling so they will have to have that in the changeable module and have suitable ducting from the car to the rad in the module or alternatively have some kind of push fit connections and run the risk of getting an air lock in the cooling system or leak when changing the battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
RIP Don Panoz. He did so much for sportscar racing and was very forward thinking, running a hybrid-electric car back in 1998. He will be missed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts