Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 2016 30kw leaf it's my second after the 24kw I had. Anyway I have this really annoying issue with the parcel shelf ratting over rough surfaces better known as the UK road system. I did notice that my original shelf had split slightly on one side. So thinking this might be the cause of the problem I bought a new one. But no it's still rattles. Is this just a trait of the leaf ? And if so is there a remedy for it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
For sure this isn't a feature of a Leaf.

Does the rattle come from the clip-on fittings against the pegs that have worn a bit loose? They should be a firm connection to avoid such issues. Or is it from shelf contact with the rear of the back seats? You need to get someone in the back seat to apply pressure at various points until they eliminate the rattle and thus identify the source.

If it's the clip-on connections shelf/car it should be easy to insert a sliver of foam or rubber between the mating surfaces. Similarly - apply sticky-backed thin foam strip to the back edge of the shelf if it's chattering there against the seat.

But first principle is always to locate the precise position that is causing the annoyance.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hi all I have a 2016 30kw leaf it's my second after the 24kw I had. Anyway I have this really annoying issue with the parcel shelf ratting over rough surfaces better known as the UK road system. I did notice that my original shelf had split slightly on one side. So thinking this might be the cause of the problem I bought a new one. But no it's still rattles. Is this just a trait of the leaf ? And if so is there a remedy for it.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mine rattles too.
For mine putting something on it helps. It just seems light enough to bounce up and down a tiny bit. A strategically placed coat is enough to quieten mine down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the parcel shelf is correctly fitted. Appears to me it's too light however I will try the draft strip to suppress the noise. Weighing it down with something will probably work too. Maybe a combination of both will fix it. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my issue guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've managed to reduce the parcel shelf rattle greatly by taping a metal weight to the underside of the parcel shelf and adding extra padding at the contact points. See attached photos

·
Registered
263 Posts
The rattle is between the pins that the shelf clips to and the clips. I don’t think it’s wear as I noticed it when the car only had a few hundred miles on the clock.

Solution I found was to wind a bit of electrical tape around the pins to fatten them up a bit.
That was 3 years ago and hasn’t rattled since plus the tape has held up fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Mine started a faint rattle a few weeks ago. It's been driving me mad trying to locate it. I tend to get occasional rattles from cables behind the headlining close to the lights in the roof, usually a gentle tap on the headlining resolves that one. This new one though seemed to be coming from the passenger side somewhere but last night I had the impression it was actually coming from the back. I'll check the parcel shelf, could well be that. Last night I just turned the music volume up to try and drown it out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
928 Posts
I have been trying to locate a plastic on plastic rattle/ squeak and finally located it as my head unit, around the screen. When I press on the black plastic the whole thing is very creaky tho!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts