Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTE has park assist - allegedly.
Well it has a button on the dash that indicates it does and on occasion it spins the steering wheel on its own when its pressed.
I've read the manual and watched the u tube video but my car doesn't do most of what those sources suggest it should do.
It always attempts to parallel park even when you are in a situation where perpendicular parking is required so it eventually gives up. The manual suggests that you press the dash button to select the format of parking you want but thats not the case it just turns the function on or off. You can however select different formats on the touchscreen (sometimes when reverse is selected) but most times when reverse is selected with the appropriate indicator on it immediately disables the park assist. I have once managed to get it to front park between two cars on its own - duh, otherwise its mostly disappointment.
I have yet to find a situation where there are 2 cars parked in a line with a space between them thats long enough to accommodate a Passat estate but when I do I'll be able to try the parallel option that its always trying to execute. I believe that this was a £475 extra as it includes the trailer assist too. I'm glad I didn't pay for this as an option otherwise I'd be rather disappointed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know this car is futuristic but this is ridiculous!
First drive after posting this the car performed a (near) perfect perpendicular parking manoeuvre between two cars. In exactly that same place that I have tried before ok one of the cars involved was a maybe a slightly different shade of grey - but almost identical.
I would have done better myself as I recon it was 4.75 degrees off-line but nae bad for a beginner.
So if I keep outlining deficiencies on here will it buck up and do its stuff properly?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I had this function on my previous GTE.
Did it work, yes.
But in the four years of ownership I only used it twice.
That was only to confirm that it did indeed work !.
To many years of manual parking under my belt.
The car was an “Demo” car that had the option already fitted.
Would I choose this again, given the chance - No.
Not for me anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts