Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Auto hold on my Qashqai appeared work in a different way to putting the handbrake on.
At the minute I've got a Corsa 1.2 Turbo and I've been so used to holding the Mokka on the footbrake I've not given it any thought.

When I got the Mokka the dealer said to just keep your foot gently on the brake pedal.

I hate people who keep the stop lights on when I'm behind them but nobody has flashed me or got stroppy about it. It seems if you only press the pedal lightly enough to stop the vehicle creeping that the brake lights don't come on.
Have a go tonight, see if you can catch the reflection in the window of your house.

Gaz

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
This is just a suggestion since I have never even seen a van like yours. In my VW ID3, if you come to a stop gently and smoothly by just lifting off the accelerator, it will not stop completely but goes into a slow creep, like an old-fashioned automatic. You then come to a full stop with the foot brake. Taking your foot off the foot brake leaves the parking brake applied by the autohold. Just apply the accelerator to move off. It's worth noting that the amount parking brake you get is proportionate to the pressure on the footbrake. So if you feather it to a stop, it is only just on. This can result in imperceptible movement and an alarming creaking noise if you are on a hill.
Except none of the stellantis vehicles appear to have autohold. Irritating.
The handbrake can be engaged but if you put it on manually it has a bit of a hissy if you then try to drive off.

Gaz

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
It take as long to come off as it does to come on - nearly a full second, which doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to start rolling if you take your foot off the brake when you press the button!

I'm used to manual handbrakes, that old Vivaro had more in common with a steam train - you had to move the levers with a lot of strength, and finesse and mechanical sympathy, and you could feel all the linkages. It was hard work to drive, but satisfying. This new one is very easy to drive, I could do it in my sleep!
Is the Corsa still arriving at any time soon?
At least you'll have familiarity with that from driving the van.

Gaz

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I too hate sitting at stop with my foot on the brake so on the e208 I just put the ‘handbrake’ on (silly switch) then simply press go and drive off, no hissy from it at all.
Maybe mine is a combination of me not having a seat belt on at the time.
It goes to go but the handbrake doesn't release without the car either riding up or hankering down (depending on direction) so I'll give it another go when I get it back from the service.
Apparently there are a few odd differences that people don't consider but it's been a bit odd driving a petrol Corsa for a few days. That's what's got me thinking again about stopping in traffic.

The worst thing I ever did was put it in park, when in traffic you tend to completely forget how the bloody thing works.

😖

Gaz

Reactions: TomH and Rbrian

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The first time I drove an auto, the hire car company didn't give me the category B, Fiesta or similar, I'd requested, they gave me a class A. Mercedes A Class! I put the handbrake on and the shifter into either N or P, I forget which. Revving the engine when the lights turned green I couldn't understand why it wouldn't go into drive. There was a fair queue by the time I'd figured out I needed to press the brake!

I think I'm going to leave it in D and just use the parking brake, that's simple to do, and to go again I just need to press the accelerator. I wonder if that would have worked with that petrol Mercedes?
What gets me in trouble is I always forget to ask how to open the fuel, flap.
The levers are usually somewhere you don't expect.

This time I did ask only to be told you just press the flap and it pops open.

I'd never have found the release for that one then!
:ROFLMAO:

Gaz

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Got the Mokka back from the service.
Keep in mind this is an early one and when I asked about autohold the scum dealer told me to keep my foot on the brake and not to worry about blinding people behind. Different words may have been used but it turns out they really are scum.
First time I tried to pull away having used the handbrake it struggled and the back went up and was not a very elegant experience.
Vauxhalls propensity to roll out untested and flawed updates without stating what they are meant to do has seen all sorts of things disappear which we needed and new problems appear. Somewhere during either the various updates I've installed or perhaps one of the updates applied as part of the first service there seems to have been an update that makes the release smoother.
On the way back I had to stop at some lights and engaged the handbrake. Kept my foot close enough to the brake until the traffic moved off.
Pressing the go pedal resulted in a fuss free release of the handbrake and off the car moved without any drama.
Now when in traffic and stopping for more than a couple of seconds I can just apply the handbrake in the knowledge that I can drive off without issue and don't have to be a footbrake twat.

Gaz

Reactions: Rbrian
1 - 6 of 6 Posts