Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Golf Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you leave the car parked with the brake shoes and pads completely off?? Stops freezing up in winter and rusting together when warmer??
Particularly when left for periods.
In comparison, I disengage the electro handbrake and just leave my ICE in gear.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,104 Posts
Can you leave the car parked with the brake shoes and pads completely off?? Stops freezing up in winter and rusting together when warmer??
Did that once with an old ICE when going on holiday. I also chocked the drive wheels to be sure it stayed put.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,025 Posts
The only way that you park an ID 3 in by pushing the 'Park' button on the gear selector. In my case, with Autohold set, I think that the transmission will be locked and the brakes will be on. If you set Autohold to off, presumably the brakes would release and you'd only have the transmission lock on. This is all theory, by the way!

As an aside, I have wondered if the use of drum brakes on the back axle is not just a cheapskate move but a deliberate attempt to provide a system that is less prone to sticking and rusting under very light use.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
The only way that you park an ID 3 in by pushing the 'Park' button on the gear selector. In my case, with Autohold set, I think that the transmission will be locked and the brakes will be on. If you set Autohold to off, presumably the brakes would release and you'd only have the transmission lock on. This is all theory, by the way!

As an aside, I have wondered if the use of drum brakes on the back axle is not just a cheapskate move but a deliberate attempt to provide a system that is less prone to sticking and rusting under very light use.
Looking at the quite complex casting that is the ID.3 rear drum brake setup, it’s obviously been designed and built to do something other than be low cost.

It probably does make sense to ‘weather seal’ the rear brakes/parking brake, and I’m not sure why people are singling it out as cost cutting, whereas it’s likely a design decision.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
2,853 Posts
You may be interested in this.

The drum brake, as built in the ID.3, provides many benefits, particularly in the field of e-vehicles, for instance a longer service interval of up to 150,000 kilometers.” Due to the closed and sealed system, the brakes in the new VW ID.3 are distinctly less prone to corrosion. The electric drum brake with electromechanical parking brake function is based on the Simplex principle (EPB-Si): It is especially robust and requires little maintenance, which meets the increasing lifetime requirements of electric vehicles.

A lot more - New VW ID.3 Model Drives Fully Connected, Safely and Far with Continental Technologies

·
Registered
381 Posts
Clearly we have all been affected by marketing efforts over the years where we have equated drum=cheap/less functional, disc=higher functional/expensive. So when we see a drum brake we think that its a lesser component.

However, with the BEV, we need to rethink and adjust many of our historical views. This includes the drum brake - and the Continental electric drum brake - is one of those things, in my view, that is a better fit for a BEV. In most of my driving deceleration I want regen not braking.

And sealed drum brakes also help with the Particulate Matter (PM) pollution issues which still apply to BEVs. As we head into more placements of Zero-Emission zones, and BEVs increase then PM pollution from brakes and tyres will be a factor.

Makes me wonder when VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi have some AWD vehicles whether they would put these sealed drum units on both sets of wheels?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
Well the downside of drum brakes is they don't cool as well. Which probably isn't an issue on a BEV.

The upside is they are cheaper to make with the handbrake function (as opposed to discs, which need an additional caliper).

Maybe they are less prone to corrosion, but you still get condensation inside and moisture collecting if you don't use the car regularly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you set Autohold to off, presumably the brakes would release...
Thanks. I'll check with VW.
I think drum brakes are a great idea. On my Golf the rear discs get very little use and are just borderline needing replacing. The car is very good for coasting and before motorway junctions lifting off over 1/2 mile before is sometimes too late and I need to brake.

·
Registered
139 Posts
While I was investigating how to get N(eutral) selected. It warned me that the car would roll. Presumably for towing purposes.
Well this means none of the pads are touching.
Not quite sure if you lock the car, whether the brakes then grab, I need to try and push it while locked and in N...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,025 Posts
While I was investigating how to get N(eutral) selected. It warned me that the car would roll. Presumably for towing purposes.
Well this means none of the pads are touching.
Not quite sure if you lock the car, whether the brakes then grab, I need to try and push it while locked and in N...
Have you thought about how to stop it with the doors locked?

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
301 Posts
Bjorn has a few videos about the issues with reliability due to the "under use" of brakes on EV's because of regen being used rather than the friction brakes - for example this one linked below.

I'm convinced that VW fitted drums for this reason following years of experience built up from the e-Up and e-Golf not simply to save money.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,025 Posts
Bjorn has a few videos about the issues with reliability due to the "under use" of brakes on EV's because of regen being used rather than the friction brakes - for example this one linked below.

I'm convinced that VW fitted drums for this reason following years of experience built up from the e-Up and e-Golf not simply to save money.

Looks like a proper engineering decision for a change. Overcoming the marketing department's desire for the prestige of " disk brakes all round".

Hooray!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just because the brakes aren't on, doesn't mean the pads aren't touching the disc.
Well, in my experience.
Leaving car to freeze or left for a couple of months in summer, the front brakes are always fine and there is only a slightly rusty outline of pad on disc.
With the rears, if I remembered to disengage the electro handbrake, it is also fine when I drive off.
If I left the car with handbrake on, driving later with frozen or rusted rear brakes and it has been quite difficult to drive off, sometimes with quite a crack as a rust/ice bond breaks. And if rust, quite a few miles of clunking as the rust gets cleaned off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There's a setting to leave the brakes in the off mode hidden in the menu somewhere. My experience being that sometimes dealers like to move cars back and forth slightly in the garage without having to turn the cars on or off constantly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.