·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
394 Posts
What does it offer over an Ampera?

Well not having seen our driven either this is conjecture but I'd say something along the lines of the following:

Build quality
Based on mark 7 Golf chassis
The Golf Brand name
A decent marketing budget
Performance

So not radically different from the Ampera
All good, I just wondered what you considered to be the 'game changing' feature(s) ?

I'm a fan of VW, I'm sure their new hybrid range will be well engineered but if this car had been available when I was making my choice I would have ruled it out (along with the Ampera) because I'd be doing half of my commute each day running on petrol.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
VW groups take on the EREV is slightly different from that of the i3 or the Ampera/Volt, I seriously thought about waiting for the A3 sportback. (even test drove the petrol version)
The reason I didn't was that VW have installed an electric motor inline with the engine and transmission and only have a small battery pack. This limits the max range on electric to about 30 miles and still give's the car a normal gear box. The BMW etc are electric vehicles with range extended's added where as the VW group's is more like the Prius in that they are a petrol car with an electric capacity.
On journeys over 160 miles without a recharge the VW would be cheaper to run.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is intriguing how the major manufacturers all seem to have a slightly different take on what is needed to make best progress in the world of plug ins.

I see this VW solution as being fairly 'safe' (certainly a lot safer than investing $1.7 billion into carbon fibre manufacturing) but it could well shift a lot of cars just because they are going to slot them into existing product ranges which hopefully gives them a lot more exposure i.e. someone going to look at a golf diesel could well get talked into one of these (it's a small step) whereas you specifically need to be considering an EV to go visit a dealer to see a LEAF/Zoe/i3 (it's a much bigger step to talk someone into a different car altogether).

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
i.e. someone going to look at a golf diesel could well get talked into one of these (it's a small step) whereas you specifically need to be considering an EV to go visit a dealer to see a LEAF/Zoe/i3 (it's a much bigger step to talk someone into a different car altogether)
That is what Merc are doing with the new B Class, from what I have read you can't tell the electric car from the rest of the range.

I have a Volt and the only things about it that I would change are……
1. A much larger all electric range
2. The ability to charge from rapid chargers

The BMW would seem to be the ideal but from the reports I have seen the Rex only extendes the range by 80 miles which is not enough IMO. The Volt can be used as a "normal" car, you still have to think about how you use the i3 which will still put the Clarksons of this world off

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It is intriguing how the major manufacturers all seem to have a slightly different take on what is needed to make best progress in the world of plug ins.
Or most efficient way to reduce fleet emissions to regulatory levels. I don't really feel any of them really pushing hard for "proper" EV advancement, still looking to the outside (Tesla) to push on with that it seems, but all efforts must be given some praise, as it's the way forward for sure!

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
"Or most efficient way to reduce fleet emissions to regulatory levels. I don't really feel any of them really pushing hard for "proper" EV advancement"
Think that you have hit the nail on the head there Paul.
If you make a car that needs a lot of money spent on servicing and parts every year why would you push hard to sell one that doesn't

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Because the first manufacturer who produces one that doesn't is going to sell loads of cars and outcompete those that do?
Independently owned dealer (and servicing) networks, parts suppliers, fuel companies... There's so many people involved in the entire old-school car supply, sales and servicing chain that the ICE age manufacturers most likely don't want to upset.

Needs a kick up the backside!

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Because the first manufacturer who produces one that doesn't is going to sell loads of cars and outcompete those that do?
With my conspiracy hat on maybe they are all talking to each other to make sure no one brakes ranks, then the new boys Tesla came along and spoilt their party.:p
It does seem strange that the range of every EV that comes out only slightly betters the previous models, have BMW missed a trick by not offering three options……..a small battery, a large battery and a Rex

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
You would hope to pass a petrol station in that 80 miles, kind of the point of having the Rex :)
IMO it would cost almost nothing to double the size of the tank to give a 160 mile range on petrol, with my last ICE car I almost never ran the car into the red which was atleast a 60 mile range.
The whole point with a rex version is the ability to use as a normal car without any worries of range, my wife regally travels 200 miles to clients for work which would mean having to stop in the BMW, in the Volt she can just drive to work.
The range is 80 miles for the rex, in reality you would be filling it up every 50 miles on a long trip. That is just over a gallon of petrol, if this is meant to be the long distance answer to compete with a Tesla then why has it got the petrol tank from a 50cc scooter?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
IMO it would cost almost nothing to double the size of the tank to give a 160 mile range on petrol, with my last ICE car I almost never ran the car into the red which was atleast a 60 mile range.
The whole point with a rex version is the ability to use as a normal car without any worries of range, my wife regally travels 200 miles to clients for work which would mean having to stop in the BMW, in the Volt she can just drive to work.
The range is 80 miles for the rex, in reality you would be filling it up every 50 miles on a long trip. That is just over a gallon of petrol, if this is meant to be the long distance answer to compete with a Tesla then why has it got the petrol tank from a 50cc scooter?
It's a BMW Megacity vehicle, with range extender. They will most likely push hybrid/plugin hybrid as the "long range" answer.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
It's a BMW Megacity vehicle, with range extender. They will most likely push hybrid/plugin hybrid as the "long range" answer.

But I want one!……….. I thought when I first got the Volt that like a computer it would be out of date within days.
There is still not a car on the market to compete with my car for what I need, which is an EV 80% of the time and a normal car the other 20%. Have BMW missed a trick or are the bosses worried about thier ICE sales and services

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
But I want one!……….. I thought when I first got the Volt that like a computer it would be out of date within days.
There is still not a car on the market to compete with my car for what I need, which is an EV 80% of the time and a normal car the other 20%. Have BMW missed a trick or are the bosses worried about thier ICE sales and services
From what I can tell the Ampera and Volt seem to be just about the best in that regard... just a shame they didn't and don't seem to want to tell anyone about them?!

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Kevin…………….. when working in Liverpool my wife leaves at 5.30 in the morning to start teaching at 9.00 and if she has to stop that would add at least 15 min to the journey, she could charge to 80% in 30 mins, the petrol would start to be pointless.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kevin…………….. when working in Liverpool my wife leaves at 5.30 in the morning to start teaching at 9.00 and if she has to stop that would add at least 15 min to the journey, she could charge to 80% in 30 mins, the petrol would start to be pointless.
Sorry but I don't understand... assuming your wife's journey is less than 150 miles she could just drive it in a i3 REx without stopping.

No doubt both a Leaf and i3 could recharge to ~80% in ~30 minutes but that assumes the rapid charger is not busy, it's working, and in the right location to complete the trip. Most of the people I know buying an i3 REx are doing so because they need more range than ~80 miles, don't want to stop for a charge, and want control of fuel costs once the networks start charging for electricity.

·
Registered
167 Posts
IMO the BMW i3 REX should not be seen as more than a Nissan Leaf type vehicle that overcomes range anxiety. It is not a vehicle that matches the long range convenience of an ICE. If my wife wanted a local runabout the characteristic of the i3 would be ideal for her.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think we are missing a critical point here

Cars are bought with emotion then justified with facts (remember there are three levels of facts, 1. Pub facts, 2.Wikipedia facts & 3. Real facts)

The facts we justify our car purchases with are somewhere between 1 and 2.

However, you have already bought into the decision with your heart so others pointing out the "facts" just makes you want to fight back more using "facts" to justify your emotional decision.

So someone who has decided to by an i3 is not going take on board your "facts" as to why they made the wrong decision, just the same as the leaf drivers who do not want to hear the "fact" that CHAdeMO is the wrong standard.

Rather than attacking each others emotional decisions why don't we try and look on the bright side and support each other.

There endeth the sermon for friday

1 - 20 of 28 Posts