Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parking wardens appear very little aware that Free EV and PHEV parking in city of Westminster is not just for the Riva gwizz. Got 3 tickets on my outlander yesterday. Of course will make a representation but would advise anyone to put a note on their dash for wardens to remind them off the parking fee exemption and that your car is one of them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes I raised this point before, with the abolition of the tax disc westminster wardens will have no way of spotting ev's. (Windscreen note is good advice AND take a photo of it )
good luck with your appeal.......
Parking wardens appear very little aware that Free EV and PHEV parking in city of Westminster is not just for the Riva gwizz. Got 3 tickets on my outlander yesterday. Of course will make a representation but would advise anyone to put a note on their dash for wardens to remind them off the parking fee exemption and that your car is one of them.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Westminster should just take the registration numbers from the congestion charge exemption register and put them in the pay by phone system. When the warden checks you for that location, then the clock starts ticking on how long the max parking time is for that bay.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
@Olivier Please let us know what happens because I fully intend to use the perk of free parking in Westminster.
Don't forget that you have to register for the free congestion charge, it costs £10 per year every year, same process having to fill in and post form and copy of reg docs to prove you are electric. It takes 10 days so don't leave it to the last min

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Some of us don't bother registering for the con charge discount (not an "exemption" apparently) but still occasionally use the free parking perk which covers much longer hours - saturdays for example.
Westminster should just take the registration numbers from the congestion charge exemption register and put them in the pay by phone system. When the warden checks you for that location, then the clock starts ticking on how long the max parking time is for that bay.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Its the having to jump through the same hoops every year, even down to prooving the car is still electric that P's me off:mad:
My own has lapsed as I need to scan and post the v5 again !

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Olivier Please let us know what happens because I fully intend to use the perk of free parking in Westminster.
The fines have been cancelled. Quite an easy process as well. I now leave a notice visible advising that this is an EV and not had a fine since doing that.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Some of us don't bother registering for the con charge discount (not an "exemption" apparently) but still occasionally use the free parking perk which covers much longer hours - saturdays for example.
It's carefully worded legalese ;)

By being a discount not an exemption, and annually registered it can be revised, and not grant "grandfather rights" to a specific owner or vehicle.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have made the attached, which you can cut out and laminate as A5 and put on dashboard in the hope that it stops me having to go through the admin of getting fines cancelled. I have no tax disc, never had one.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
You would think they might send you something standard for your windscreen/dash designed for their own wardens to be able to easily recognise you have an electric car for your £10 a year for free entry in to the congestion zone:rolleyes:.
Nup everyone will have to deal with this tedious problem in their own individual way. Tick in free market ideology box:rolleyes:.
Asked friends in Maidenhead with an ICE car how often they drive in to London and they said once a year.
I will make sure I go at least twice for my £10 and all the hassle getting the exemption each year....ZE yes but adding to congestion then just to make it worthwhile!:confused:

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
so is it just westminster that has the free parking. I don't go into london often and have rarely used anything other than my home, work and Eco-tricity chargers. over christmas we always go to a few shows in london AND if i can get free parking then why not...as regards the congestion charge do we have to register for that as well or is that automatic..

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have to register for the CC 100% discount. Cost is cheaper than 1 day standard CC charge.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Unlikely, unless you get free stamps, envelopes, paper, printer cartridges, shoe leather & time :)
Personally I go into London regularly but just avoid congestion charging times or take the tube or bicycle!!

Cost is cheaper than 1 day standard CC charge.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
the most annoying thing is having to do it each year even if nothing changes.
Pay yearly, fine but resend off the v5 etc seems daft, but I do it for the very few times I go to london by car

Reactions: kentish zoe
1 - 20 of 36 Posts