Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Parking and cable damage

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Rei 
#1 ·

Interesting video from Bjorn about parking at rapid chargers. Apparently the water cooled cables vibrate and damage the paint on cars with the charge port in the wrong place!

#6 ·
Also the charging cables at Ionity are very heavy and on my car you could see the cars charging port move under the weight. The last time I used Ionity I rested the cable on top of the bollard protecting the charger so as to take the strain.

Even with my front charge port I found Izzivia chargers in France had the most bizarre parking bays to go with the charger as if the guy with the paint had not a clue. Had to often park at 45 degree angle to get anywhere enough cable. But then that sums up the now defunct Izzivia EDF network.

#11 ·
Bjorn gets to the real heart of the problem though, it's that everyone wants to park differently and ends up blocking more than one charger. I don't know what can be done about it because every brand seems to have a different idea about where to put the port.

#12 ·
I would like to see charging network operators recognise this as a genuine issue and where they install multiply chargers at a single site that they install them in such a way that allows for safe and easy charging regardless of where the charge port is located on the car without the risk of damage. Perhaps install one charger one way and another a different way so that drivers have the choice as to which one they use. If the charger of choice is occupied they then have the choice... wait or use one of the other chargers at their own risk. Even if they do that I am sure it won't stop the "douche bag" (his words, not mine!) parking. That is just human nature and will continue IMO. :)

#13 ·
IMHO it would be better if manufacturers just put it in the place that works for all charger locations, middle of the nose or the rear. Having an excessively long cable for 90% of vehicles is a very bad idea, with cables laying on the floor or stretched out at ankle height!

#14 ·
Manufacturer's can't agree on a charging standard after 10 years of EVs so I can't see them agreeing on where to put the charge sockets. It would be good if they could that is certain... front or back is by far the best for the reasons you say :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.