Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum so forgive me if I'm asking something that's been dealt with before on here but I have done a search and can't find an answer.
My car is the standard M3 SR+, I'm aware of phantom battery drain and I'm worried that when I go on holiday soon and park at the airport for 12 days, I may not have enough charge left when I get back, to get me to a Supercharger. I'm planning on charging up to nearly 100% at Hopwood Services and then leave the car at Birmingham Airport which is about 20 miles away for the duration..
Parked in my garage at night and not on charge I'm losing something like 10 miles range over the night with (I think) everything turned off.
I'm aware of turning off Sentry (although it's the classic time to actually have it monitoring the car for you) but what other things do I need to turn off/disable that will eat the battery while I'm away? Or am I worrying needlessly?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Sentry should be the "big spender" also - checking up on the car on the mobile app 'wakes the care' so eliminating doing that will help.

Obligatory Bjorn video

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yea, Sentry will kill your battery in a week. If it's off you'll be fine. There's a pair of ecotricity "rapid" chargers at the airport if you did get completely stuck.
Regarding the Evezy app, I thought they'd stopped it waking the car every few minutes?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You should be fine with sentry mode turned off

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,699 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum so forgive me if I'm asking something that's been dealt with before on here but I have done a search and can't find an answer.
My car is the standard M3 SR+, I'm aware of phantom battery drain and I'm worried that when I go on holiday soon and park at the airport for 12 days, I may not have enough charge left when I get back, to get me to a Supercharger. I'm planning on charging up to nearly 100% at Hopwood Services and then leave the car at Birmingham Airport which is about 20 miles away for the duration..
Parked in my garage at night and not on charge I'm losing something like 10 miles range over the night with (I think) everything turned off.
I'm aware of turning off Sentry (although it's the classic time to actually have it monitoring the car for you) but what other things do I need to turn off/disable that will eat the battery while I'm away? Or am I worrying needlessly?
This is where car park destination chargers are needed.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
Daily vampire drain should really be 2-3 miles with Sentry mode turned off. I don't have any problem with my Model X and that's meant to be worse.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Compared to an S/X the miles of lost range is quite high on a SR+ as it's got half the battery of the larger S/X cars and does more miles per KW so the loss of say 20 KWh is 80Miles of lost range whereas it's "only" around 50Miles of lost range on a X100D. It's the disadvantage of being more efficient but still having an inefficient computer system draining your battery. Sentry mode power drain really is pretty unacceptable. When I dropped my car with the Tesla service centre I charged to 85% and 6 days later it had drained to 20% and disabled sentry mode, which if I was on a two week holiday and had forgotten to turn of sentry mode may be a bit worrying.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
85% to 20%!in six days is extreme. I’d only expect 10% or so on a week, so long as I don’t wake the car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It may have been 7 days actually ... and that was with sentry on, so the car was always awake and it's a busy area so it will have spent the entire week logging events and flashing its lights. It's really disappointing the drain is so high, I don't do that many miles most weeks now so if i left sentry mode on it would probably be responsible for over a third of my battery consumption .... as well as annoying the hell out of my neighbours flashing its lights into their windows every 5 minutes throughout the night.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sounds like it might be an idea to take a train / taxi to the airport and leave the car plugged in at home.

Might even be cheaper given the rates the long term parking people charge at airports...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
It may have been 7 days actually ... and that was with sentry on, so the car was always awake and it's a busy area so it will have spent the entire week logging events and flashing its lights. It's really disappointing the drain is so high, I don't do that many miles most weeks now so if i left sentry mode on it would probably be responsible for over a third of my battery consumption .... as well as annoying the hell out of my neighbours flashing its lights into their windows every 5 minutes throughout the night.
That makes more sense. Sentry mode can be 10% per day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys for your thoughts, I feel more comfortable now that I will still have a decent amount of charge left when I return from holiday, as long as I keep Sentry turned off and don't keep checking what the battery level is when I'm away!!
It's a real pity though that Sentry uses so much power as it would be really useful to have it working when you're going to leave the car for an extended period.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It's a real pity though that Sentry uses so much power as it would be really useful to have it working when you're going to leave the car for an extended period.
Indeed, FWIW it does use about 2.5x less energy than it did when it was just released.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
Yes. Airport parking needs a bunch of low power Type 2 chargers, precisely for this reason.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
397 Posts
So I did valet parking on my quick trip away at Xmas. I basically monitored the car until I saw it was in the final car park for it's stay through the app and then I turned off Sentry mode. Lost about 5% in a week I think IIRC but no more than 10%.
As it happened it was lucky that I did it that way. The driver obviously didn't know how to get out of the car. So once in park looked at the screen and hit the open button :sneaky:. This then popped the boot. I didn't have a power boot at that point. They obviously then saw that didn't do anything and worked their way out and walked away. I had to text the valet company explaining and they went back to shut it which I confirmed to them through the app. Then I turned off Sentry...
Checked in with the car once or twice through the week. Most of the time it had issues making the connection so that kept my itch finger in check and charge up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts