Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only Ampera owner with this one? The parking brake makes a loud metallic 'clonk' as it comes on. It's been in to the garage now, and they've diagnosed a fault with a brake caliper. Needs replacing but not dangerous or likely to cause a brake malfunction, they said.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
I don't use the hand brake, anyone think thats not a good idea?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't use the hand brake, anyone think thats not a good idea?
Well the Highway Code item 239 says you MUST apply the parking brake before leaving the vehicle. Also, relŷing on the pawl in the gearbox to restrain the car on a slope or if it gets a push or parking bump might be expecting too much. And if it breaks off, you've got a gearbox out job.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Apart from it being a requirement, not to use the park brake means that the loading is placed directly onto the locking mechanism of the gearbox. I know many EVs don't have a gearbox in the traditional sense but they still have a locking pin that locks the wheels when in Park. If you park on a slope without the park brake on then the pin takes the load and it can damage mechanism when it releases (that is the big "clunk" when releasing).

It is just bad practice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes I've had the clonking 2 or 3 times this week. It occurs quite a few seconds after applying the brake as I hear it once I am already out of the car.
It's gone today though so could be intermittent issue .....?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I've had the clonking 2 or 3 times this week. It occurs quite a few seconds after applying the brake as I hear it once I am already out of the car.
It's gone today though so could be intermittent issue .....?
It gradually got worse on mine, until it was doing it all the time. Turned out to be a faulty brake caliper - replaced now, and everything's fine.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Mine clonks intermittently, generally from the rear passenger side.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Mine is currently in for its third visit to try and sort this...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just gave the demonstration car from my dealer back and reported the exact same fault....sounded like rear passenger side

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I hear a mechanical noise back passenger side when applying/releasing but it's not a clonking...and I assume is normal?

I thought that the parking brake was applied when you put it in P and turn the engine off. Is that not the case? I have started applying it in the last few days to be safe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
no it doesn't apply itself! (good idea though - it disengages itself so why not) When in Park it will lock the drive (not the actual wheels if you see what I mean) but its not meant to used instead of the handbrake - in fact you can still rock the car back and forth a bit in this mode. The handbrake hold the wheels and "feels" different - you can tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
It took them the best part of three weeks but mine is finally fixed!

The caliper didn't do it, so they replaced the cables which didn't do it either. After that they seemed to get a bit bored until I complained to the My Ampera guys, following which they rapidly ordered an entirely new handbrake unit from Opel and fitted it two days later. It's now quieter than it's ever been.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The park brake is not applied automatically when pressing P. As derekb says... that just locks the drive. You should always manually apply the park brake when parked because if you just use the P button then if you are on anything at all of a slope then all the weight of the car will be loaded onto the pin that locks the drive and it is not designed to hold the car weight.

For some strange reason though, in the USA, people often don't use the park brake at all... I wonder if they have more gearbox/drivetrain issues as a result?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Mine makes a light clonk noise in the final bit of travel on the parking brake (i.e. right near the end of the whirring noise). It's happened more-or-less from new and doesn't seem to cause problems, so I'm ignoring it (together with water in the rear reflectors). Both can be looked at at the 1st year service, hopefully...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Same here @RichardGledhill ... (But no water in the reflectors)

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Mine has just started doing this... Sometimes clonking louder than others.

Shame my local dealer is 30 miles away - I'll have to use petrol!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts