Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Module or Actuator?

I think @Edd Beesley said the US module would not work.
I can't really verify that, the actuator was broken anyway so maybe the USA module was fine (although the garage said they couldn't code it, so maybe).

Before you get it shipped speak to @Mike Schooling he may well have one on the shelf to sell

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,533 Posts
This issue and Nissan's general bad attitude to repair contributions might be something to take to BBC Watchdog. They've certainly not encouraged anyone to buy into their brand with the way they behave.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In this country you have to have a working parking brake at your annual inspection, so it was neccesary for me to get this fixed. If you don't need that in your country then you can drive and use the car fine without the parking brake. Even though mine is now fixed I don't use it - I just put the car in P and if i'm on a slope release the foot brake slowly so it's not a hard jerk onto the parking pawl.
We’ve also got a gen1 and wondered what the best bet might be to avoid this potential failure. (i.e. always/ never/ occasionally use the parking brake)

You don’t think there is any danger in it “seizing up” if never used apart from mot time?

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
That seems plausible but we've no real data. I try to use them about once a month on both our cars for this reason. TBH it's always a bit of a scary moment hoping it will release ok...

·
Registered
1 Posts

after repairing the damaged tailgate, Parking Brake stopped working due to the water drop in the car trunk and C10e1 error appeared.

Parking Brake Actuator was removed from the car and disassembled.

Actuator motor contacts were cleaned of oxides and dirt

Actuator motor was disassembled and lubricated

then everything was assembled and installed on the car.
Error С10е1 disappeared and the actuator began to work in normal mode

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,986 Posts
So, basically by the look of it, the sealing to the enclosure is hand-splattered RTV rubbish, am I wrong? Who makes them, is there a 1st tier supplier name on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys!!!! Same problem here in Norway!!! I own a 2011 LEAF bullt in Japan and imported from Belgium in 2013. As for today it has 82.000km and the parking brake is flashing. The fun thing is that somehow I expected this to happen as I did had read about this thread before plus a friend of mine had the same problem and had to pay around 40.000norwegian kroners. I DONT TRUST NISSAN.

I think that if I deliver my car for diagnosis to them, they will tell me no matter what the these modules have to be changed. @sklods said that he had his parking brake repaired without buying anything. I wonder if the issue is just some water/moisture and after a proper cleaning this would go away. And that is why I dont want to deliver my car to Nissan. Cause somehow I suspect them that they wont be able to know if moisture is only the case and the module can work again, and that they would tell me that I have to replace it anyways

So first things first,
I have to deassemble it myself and see...

I also want to find out if there is any alternative?
Is there any1 who has tried to replace the whole parking brake system with a custom manual one?[/USER]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys.... I've just bought a 2011 leaf for cheap, full capacity though and in good order, 30k miles.

Then found this thread. I've took a gamble and bought it sight unseen and it's getting delivered via car transporter, private sale too...I like to live dangerously.

Just wondered how common this issue is. It doesn't seem that prevelant with a quick Google of the issue. Is it still the case that actuator failure is a 2k+ job or are there known repair or 3rd party options available now?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Hi guys.... I've just bought a 2011 leaf for cheap, full capacity though and in good order, 30k miles.

Then found this thread. I've took a gamble and bought it sight unseen and it's getting delivered via car transporter, private sale too...I like to live dangerously.

Just wondered how common this issue is. It doesn't seem that prevelant with a quick Google of the issue. Is it still the case that actuator failure is a 2k+ job or are there known repair or 3rd party options available now?

Cheers.
Does your car have any parking brake errors. If not, worry about that in the future.

Also Leafs are not super rare: there is always a chance that salvage reclaim could be your saviour ( but surely this is theoretical).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
We've done a few gen1 parking brake repairs now. You should be able to get holo of the parking brakefactuator from a breakers for around £300. Fitting and pairing is a few hours work.

My advice on this is to grease up the entry points on the actuator - each one we have replaced has signs of significant ingress.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cool, thanks for the replies....I haven't actually got hold of the car yet, should be delivered midweek....as far as I know it works fine at the moment. I'll be doing a full brake replacement on it anyway so I can get under and grease everything up like mentioned.

Hopefully it'll never be an issue.... obviously there's this long thread about it but the internet isn't exactly full of tales of woe on the subject.....the leaf is replacing a 2009 3.0 petrol BMW...compared to that it should be plain sailing!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just for info I found an actuator unit at a breakers for £299....I don't even have the car yet (coming this evening fingers crossed) so I'll make a call as to whether or not I just take the chance or maybe buy one and tuck it away somewhere..... probably the former to be honest.

Anyway, at least there are seemingly cheaper options. My strategy for this will be to, a. Grease up all the cable entry points, b. Only use the handbrake for MOTs and very steep hills!

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Yeah just be careful with it. I had a scary moment a couple weeks ago, parked on a hill and applied the parking brake. My partner wanted to drive on the way back, didn't release the parking break before going into Drive, gave it some welly as we were on a hill, the parking brake groaned while releasing and the dreaded error light came on. When we got home I found clearing the error code, shutting down the car, waiting for the car to shut down totally (when the parking brake controller goes to sleep and the light on the lever stops flashing) and then pulling the level made it try reapplying the brake, complain, and then put itself into a normal position. On rebooting the car I cleared the error again, and this time it stayed away. Phew. I am very untrusting of electronic parking brakes now!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Just for info I found an actuator unit at a breakers for £299....I don't even have the car yet (coming this evening fingers crossed) so I'll make a call as to whether or not I just take the chance or maybe buy one and tuck it away somewhere..... probably the former to be honest.

Anyway, at least there are seemingly cheaper options. My strategy for this will be to, a. Grease up all the cable entry points, b. Only use the handbrake for MOTs and very steep hills!
Are you going to invest in a spare main drive motor in case that fails, a brake power unit in case that fails too. Etc Etc

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Paranoia !

321 - 337 of 337 Posts