Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I first went to test drive a Leaf, the foot operated parking brake could not be released. The previous driver had pressed it so far down that it would not go down any further and release the ratchet mechanism. Obviously we switched to another car and drove that instead.
I purchased a Leaf shortly afterwards (not the one that had the brake issue).
The question is, is this a common thing to happen, and if it can't be released by the normal method, is there a release procedure?
Ta.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No-one else has replied here so I'll give it a shot. The ratchet mechanism on the Leaf will be the same as in many other vehicles. I had a Peugeot 3008 which had one and there is no mention of stuck brake pedals in either the Leaf or the Peugeot's manuals.
I expect this would be a garage job, get underneath and slacken the footbrake cable tightening adjusters so allowing a bit of play, then re-tighten them. Fiddly and annoying but probably no big deal. I think the Leaf uses the drum brakes for the parking foot brake so very old-school mechanics, no great mystery.
Tony.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That is an issue that the dealer should address.
The release of the brakes is by pressing the pedal all the way down.
If someone adjusted the pedal too tight then you won't be able to press it down.
I had a small issue on the opposite direction on my 30kw Leaf but on first service it was corrected and worked fine since.

a side note, I rarely used the parking brake pedal on the 30kw and the same on the 62 e+
Once you witch off the car it goes to P mode which is similar to automatic transmission ICE cars. I never felt the need to use the paring brake because of this.
Unless of course if you stop on a hill, then you will need it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do the latest leafs have the footbrake ? We test drove one that had but I think they said it had been changed to a switch now. I wasn't convinced with the footbrake. Very hard to locate it as it's flush with the floor but I guess you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Do the latest leafs have the footbrake ? We test drove one that had but I think they said it had been changed to a switch now. I wasn't convinced with the footbrake. Very hard to locate it as it's flush with the floor ??? but I guess you get used to it.
Something seriously wrong if it is 'flush' ! When ready for use it's 5 or 6 inches clear of floor and when in use it shouls till be an inch or more clear (else you wouldn't be able to give it an extra push to turn it off !).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,888 Posts
Does the foot operated parking brake use hydraulics? If it's sunk to the floor....

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Foot operated is manual cable - are hydraulic even legal? The whole concept of electrically operated is also an aberration - how can you use it as an emergency brake?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Something seriously wrong if it is 'flush' ! When ready for use it's 5 or 6 inches clear of floor and when in use it should still be an inch or more clear (else you wouldn't be able to give it an extra push to turn it off !).
I guess it couldn't have been totally flush to the floor as you say - I'd not be able to operate it. It wasn't detectable under foot though and the sales lady did have to show us before we got in as she admitted it was hard to find. Certainly wasn't an inch proud though - I guess the last user had depressed it too far ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess its similar to a traditional hand brake which if you pulled it really hard could be v difficult to get off again.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The release of the brakes is by pressing the pedal all the way down.
For my 13 Reg Sunderland built Leaf, the ratchet engages when, having depressed the parking brake pedal I first reduce my foot pressure, and disengages when I next apply sufficient foot pressure to move the pedal, and will not re-engage until I have totally removed my foot from the pedal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts