Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
901 Posts
To me it says no stopping/parking at any time UNLESS it's an EV that is parked, plugged in and charging.
So ice driver has no excuse that he/she thought they could just park there and block our bays...as it clearly states no stopping/parking for any vehicle so ticket can be issued for contravening that restriction. With get out of jail exemption for the EV charging attached to it..

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It says that is the point you can charge at. As there is no mention of time, I would look for the main car park sign to see if time limits apply.

It is poor however as the no parking sign should say something like “no parking for any non-charging vehicle” otherwise in reality it contradicts itself.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
I recently parked in a signposted car park that had no signs other than the signpost. Now, were there no T&C signs or had I just not found them?

This presents a real problem, in that they could choose to put up signs afterwards, and claim they were there before. Proving the absence of any signage is a heck of a lot harder than proving the presence of it, when you have no idea where future signage might be placed. Bit much to have to photograph every inch of a parking area in order to try and show that signs don't exist.

·
Registered
Kona64
2,178 Posts
back to OP @Lily2021 - what car do you have ?
There are several useful places in the Gosport area at the moment, benefits depend on your car
Useful spelt "free".
eg There's still a free+easy to use Rapid charger halfway down the Fareham Road (opposite the Lidl/M&S foodhalls)
20-30mins there will do you nicely, thanks to @GOSPORT DAVE for telling people about it.
It'll stop being free next month, but could still be very useful to you.

And don't worry about being plugged in taking charge from a destination "type2" for 2hr30 in say a 3hr limit car park, nothing wrong at all with that
Roll up, hit the library, bank, sit in a park, then grab some milk+bread to be a customer, and head home with more electricity than when you arrived.
Using it as designed, whether it's 5 people 30mins each, or you for the 2+half hours.
Enjoy your car and the low costs of motoring with it !

·
Registered
68 plate, ZOE, R110
218 Posts
Maybe a silly question but .. how could you let them know you want to charge if the store is closed anyway?
Maybe a silly question but .. how could you let them know you want to charge if the store is closed anyway?
I got told via email you have to give your details in store to use chargers so when store is closed you cannot use charger due to not being able to give details.
However there is not actual signage in the car park saying this it just says max stay 90 mins 24hrs a day. (which implies you can charge when store is closed)

All emails attched in above post with copy of parking signage

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
342 Posts
Wow!

Reading this thread really raises the question as to why would anyone want an EV unless you have off-street parking and your own charge point. If you have to rely on external chargers then it is a minefield.... and you'll still have to pay through your nose for the privilege.

I know this is not the OP's home location but still, it beggar belief why you would want an EV with this sort of hassles.

Just my two pence's worth.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
We don’t have our own drive or our own charge point. Hubby is lucky to be able to charge at work and we will probably use public chargers a few times a year for long trips. Even with a little planning and getting to grips with the tech, it still seems worth it for much cheaper fuel and also the main reason we are all here…. the whole “not burning fossil fuel” thing 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is only the case if there is clear signage in place that states any restrictions that apply.

What would you suggest that this sign means?
View attachment 146962
Not noticed the sign - my eyes were drawn to the mirror reflection of the driver lighting up their mini bong...

·
Registered
68 plate, ZOE, R110
218 Posts
We don’t have our own drive or our own charge point. Hubby is lucky to be able to charge at work and we will probably use public chargers a few times a year for long trips. Even with a little planning and getting to grips with the tech, it still seems worth it for much cheaper fuel and also the main reason we are all here…. the whole “not burning fossil fuel” thing 🤷🏻‍♀️
I am the same,no home charger or off strret parking however i am used to using the same 1 or 2 local chargers which is no big deal.When i travel further afield you just need to plan a bit more.
I got to my local town centre today 72% and put the ZOE on a FREE charger only 7KWH when i returned 1.5hrs later i was on 98%. Cant fault that for FREE

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,816 Posts
I have parked for some years in an area that is mainly resident-only parking but has a few free sections for visitors to those people. They are marked by a very small yellow sign, around 200mm x 80mm, on posts - with the single word 'FREE'. One day a ticket was on my screen. When I looked around to see if they had changed the rules for these familiar bays, the nearest post was bent over and the sign had been ragged off by vandals. Clearly, the parking warden knew that these bays were free but still cynically issued the ticket. Obviously, it was overturned on appeal to the council but still caused a lot of admin to go and take pics and fill in reams of paperwork. The broken post is still absent the correct sign but I guarantee that many tickets have been issued and paid for by people who are unaware of the background details.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,035 Posts
How about this lunacy?

Will they figure this out for BEV recharging? One has to wonder .....

Shell issues £60 penalty after woman stops to breastfeed baby

"

It’s hard not to despair. Now anyone heading to a petrol station to spend the £50-plus it costs to fill up their car needs to check for any “parking” restrictions.

Guardian Money reported in 2019 on how both BP and Shell were quietly signing up parking firms to install CCTV cameras at the entrances and exits to petrol stations, which are then used to enforce a maximum stay limit. At the time, we found that it could be as little as 20 minutes at some Shell stations – although your letter suggests it is now just 15.

"

·
Registered
721 Posts
How about this lunacy?

"

It’s hard not to despair. Now anyone heading to a petrol station to spend the £50-plus it costs to fill up their car needs to check for any “parking” restrictions.

Guardian Money reported in 2019 on how both BP and Shell were quietly signing up parking firms to install CCTV cameras at the entrances and exits to petrol stations, which are then used to enforce a maximum stay limit. At the time, we found that it could be as little as 20 minutes at some Shell stations – although your letter suggests it is now just 15.

"
I was thinking exactly the same - will Shell Recharge users find penalty notices dropping onto their doormats because no one at Shell has thought about this issue? Or will we be expected to have to go inside to register our reg plate details to avoid the issue? Is it cynical to think it will be the latter so that we can be encouraged to purchase “stuff” while waiting for our charging session to complete?

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
It's Grant Shapps and his buddies at Ozev who need to sort the EV parking/charging confusion out. I seriously wonder these civil servants do all day. Listening to EV owners is something they might condescend to do.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
599 Posts
How about this lunacy?

"

"
i find it hard to believe these sorts of stories in the tabloids... I think they are typical bias story telling which just sensationalise a one sided perspective.
The image they use in the artical shows a clear parking restriction sign.
The location obviously has had problems with people blocking the fueling bays because they cant park in the lane beside the garage (double yellows). This impacts their business because they are on a main route and want people in and out quickly.

Whilst I feel sorry for her... places dont guarentee the right to park. (discussed thoughout this thread)

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
599 Posts
I got a reply from podpoint about the lidl question... can you park in a lidl car park out of ours...

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for the delay in our response.

As with any parking site, the site owner may set up parking restrictions. Unfortunately the use of the EV charger does not override these restrictions, which should be outlined on the signage at the site.

The issue is that when we install the charge point, it becomes the property of the host/site. We always advise the site manager on best practices for EV charging and to install additional clear signage.

If you have any further questions please feel free to keep in touch.

Thanks,

xxxx
Customer Support Executive
Pod Point Ltd.

Tel: 0207 247 xxxx| Web: www.pod-point.com
Address: Pod Point, 28-42 Banner St, London EC1Y 8QE

Discover our Home Charging Solution
Learn with our: Driver Guides | Electric Vehicle Guides
https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles

101 - 120 of 154 Posts