Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
599 Posts
As 'that' has come up before, wondering if you can follow this one for me;

From a Gov leaflet;

View attachment 147983

OK, question is ... can a motorcycle park there on a Sunday?
The sign is stating when the restrictions are... so parking is free for 20minutes, for car between 8am and 7pm monday to saturday, with no return for 40mins.
outside these times its not clear whether its unlimitted parking or free parking.
BUT I am pretty sure it becomes free for the times outside the stated.

Yes you can park a motorcycle there on a sunday.

(please tell me im right!!!)

·
Registered
599 Posts
just found this...
It is common for restrictions to apply on particular days of the week or only during the main part of the day. Outside the times shown you may park free of charge. If there are no days or times shown on the signs for the bays, the need to abide by the requirements shown on the signs apply at all times.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
just found this...
It is common for restrictions to apply on particular days of the week or only during the main part of the day. Outside the times shown you may park free of charge. If there are no days or times shown on the signs for the bays, the need to abide by the requirements shown on the signs apply at all times.
That's for proper council signs, not the parasite private parking companies.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I would say it’s horribly ambiguous- and thus probably unenforceable. So from that, if you parked a Motorcycle there on a Sunday and got a ticket, you would be able to dispute any charge /fine.

It’s clear about cars though, so during the prescribed hours, there is a time limit and a return limit.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,035 Posts
I would say it’s horribly ambiguous- and thus probably unenforceable. So from that, if you parked a Motorcycle there on a Sunday and got a ticket, you would be able to dispute any charge /fine.

It’s clear about cars though, so during the prescribed hours, there is a time limit and a return limit.
It's horribly ambiguous what happens outside the stated hour, 'period'.

I mean, maybe there is no parking at all on Sunday?

I have scoured the Highway Code and legislation and it is not actually explicitly stated whether this means parking 'only' in those hours, or "no restrictions" outside those hours.

Incidentally, this is a very common form of sign one sees around.

·
37,035 Posts
and ...

On the basis of the logic 'if you are out of the time zone stated, then the conditions don't apply', then can you park here on a Sunday?

Genuinely ... I don't really know.

But if it is basic simple just to follow the sign then y'all can tell me. right?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Both the above are clear…
And as I stated above…

·
Registered
412 Posts
Guessing that may be a sign, say, in a shopping precinct/one way, with a sign on entering telling you.
If not, genuinely, how would you know if you're driving a permitted vehicle or not?
As everyone is pointing out, it's too ambiguous to enforce.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here's another one for your perusal and one just has to follow the sign!

@SoulGW what of this one. Does this mean lorries allowed, or lorries only?

View attachment 147989

Who here would pull into this location if they needed the toilet urgently?
Parking 1 mile ahead
With WC and phone
Bays suitable for lorries

·
37,035 Posts
If there are no days or times shown on the signs for the bays, the need to abide by the requirements shown on the signs apply at all times.
How does that apply to

The 'requirement' is a clearway.

Does it mean it is a clearway at all other times, or that it is not a clearway at all other times?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nope, it means lorries only.

I thought you said it was clear?
I always thought the lorry (or other vehicle) next to the P , means lorries only. Never seen it like you showed.
But you,re right, just to show a specific vehicle means it’s only for that vehicle,

So its just remembering what the rules are on the sign, it’s not confusing,

but if I needed to stop for a quick break, I would stop here.
this sign would only really be on a duel carriageway.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The sign is stating when the restrictions are... so parking is free for 20minutes, for car between 8am and 7pm monday to saturday, with no return for 40mins.
outside these times its not clear whether its unlimitted parking or free parking.
BUT I am pretty sure it becomes free for the times outside the stated.

Yes you can park a motorcycle there on a sunday.

(please tell me im right!!!)
Sure, why not?

Yes you are. The sign is stating a restriction, type of vehicle allowed and the time span of the restriction. Correct.

Parking is specifically for cars. Any motorbike taking up a whole car space would not be allowed. There would more than likely be specific spaces for motorbikes provided.

I might be wrong.

Beyond caring really.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
and ...

On the basis of the logic 'if you are out of the time zone stated, then the conditions don't apply', then can you park here on a Sunday?

View attachment 147991

Genuinely ... I don't really know.

But if it is basic simple just to follow the sign then y'all can tell me. right?
This one is easier. No parking by anyone other than permitted vehicles between mon-fri 8-6 however it should also display what a “permitted vehicle is”

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here's another one for your perusal and one just has to follow the sign!

@SoulGW what of this one. Does this mean lorries allowed, or lorries only?

View attachment 147989

Who here would pull into this location if they needed the toilet urgently?
I would. I read it as....

Parking, with a WC, telephone, suitable for lorries. As it ,does not exclude cars, I can’t see how a car could be fined for parking there unless another sign stated lorries only.

·
37,035 Posts
I would. I read it as....

Parking, with a WC, telephone, suitable for lorries. As it ,does not exclude cars, I can’t see how a car could be fined for parking there unless another sign stated lorries only.
It excludes cars, it is parking for lorries only. Park your car there and you get a ticket. Basic - read the sign!

In the other one, of course that is excluding waiting at the times, I'm asking if you can park there on a Sunday?

121 - 140 of 154 Posts