Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heres one to consider I'venot done it yet but may do tomorrow. There is an Asda by my work that has 2 hour parking limit, in which there is a bp pulse charger. I have to pay subscription to use BP Pulse chargers, so in theory Im paying for my charge. Do the parking limits still apply?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Heres one to consider I'venot done it yet but may do tomorrow. There is an Asda by my work that has 2 hour parking limit, in which there is a bp pulse charger. I have to pay subscription to use BP Pulse chargers, so in theory Im paying for my charge. Do the parking limits still apply?
You should assume that they do still apply, yes, unless you specifically see signage stating otherwise.

Don't ask anyone verbally, as if they say to the contrary but then you get a PCN it becomes a "he said she said". Get it in writing.

·
Registered
MG5
1,136 Posts
Hi I have a school opposite my house yellow zig zag say Mon - Fri 9am -5pm however I was still given a ticket and had to pay it I feel like I was scammed by government
What time and day were you parked there?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sorry to be blunt to the OP, but any unattended car in a car park is "parked" be definition, whether it is charging or not and is subject to the same rules applied to all other cars in that car park, unless there is exemption signage to the contrary.

Does the OP have a home charger? If so, I'd suggest they use it, except when genuinely shopping at the retailer, within the time constraints of the car park. If not, I'd suggest they get one if they have off street parking or resort to rapid charging if they can't.

Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for those that look to abuse a system and get caught breaking the rules then are penalised accordingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car stopped for good use in a bay or area of a premise called a Car Park are 100% parked.
I presume people don't sit there, in the car, transmission in drive with their foot continually on the brake pedal ?
Or, perchance they have selected the drive mode " Park " ??

Whether you are reading a booker 30mins, putting things in a big recycling bin, charging, or you've locked the car and gone off somewhere, the vehicle is primarily parked.
In a bay marked for those less able ? for those with small children ? for those charging ? - All the same -- you're parked.

Most people who got dinged for a supermarket carpark don't seem to have a problem understanding a motorway services has a time limit for parking, again regardless of if you are being stung at the Costa, having a 30min kip, or charging. You drove in the area, it's rules apply, even if it's 9pm winter and you're a 19year old with a twinkle in your eye and someone next you suggesting you both try the back seat out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I used to work at Tesco store and would park my car (fossil at that time) they have a login system for staff and visitors to input their reg and it overrides the restrictions. I recently went in store and tried my charms on the staff asking if it was possible to charge for more than 2 hours and be prepared to pay for it. Initially the lady said no it was 2 hours only, said I had to travel a long way and 2 hours of charge would not get me there, she had a look round and said put your reg in here. Small i-pad type gizmo screwed to counter at services desk. In an emergency I would try it again.

·
Registered
MG5
1,136 Posts
That's good to know.
I used to work for Tesco's and so did my wife🤥

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why would they not?

It’s the rules for that car park, it’s irrelevant if you are charging or not unless it says clearly “except when charging an EV in the designated charging bay” or something similar.

The BP Pulse at Asda is free anyhow!

I get really confused why people think the car park rules don’t apply if you are charging….

·
Registered
MG5
1,136 Posts
My local Asda has a BP Pulse which is free, you just need the app to start it, that is if it is not ICED

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,035 Posts
I get really confused why people think the car park rules don’t apply if you are charging….
Maybe similar reasoning some people who own a BEV think the charging rules apply if you are only parking (in an EV spot)?

Yep, if the rules specify 'X', then 'X' applies.

"Parking in a charger spot only when charging." .. fine, makes perfect sense
... absence of such a sign .. awww, boohoo, someone's parked their ICE there! :cry:

Prohibitions which are dreamed up by folk who believe in 'etiquette' that the rules and signs do not specify do not apply, no matter how much one might wish them to.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,035 Posts
Weren't you put in a position due to charge port location that you had to park on the hatched area of an Electric Highway bay. I can't recall if you got a ticket or someone said you can't park there? Sorry if I'm thinking of someone else.
Yes, that is correct, but there were no signs to suggest I could not do that. Only the random interpretation of a parking attendant.

The argument was that I could not park in a diagonal hatched area, but if that were true then it'd mean the other charger was blanked out for use;-

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Where, exactly, are the limits of the bay I am in, and if I am outside of the bay then look at the bay to the left and note that it is impossible to charge there if the same rules were to be applied.

Ambiguous rules ... meh ... my view is that an ambiguous rule is no rule at all, whereas to a little Hitler an ambiguous rule is called 'playtime'.

In what way was I creating an inconvenience to any other car park user?

141 - 154 of 154 Posts