Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to visit relatives in London, thought we drive our Leaf in for the first time. Have registered for the Congestion Charge exemption, hopefully in time!

Can anybody suggest somewhere to park/ charge overnight, please? Will probably be from midday to something like 3-4pm the next day, midweek.

Location is EC4 though happy to walk 1-2km if easier/ cheaper.

Alternative is to charge on the way there, but we'd still need to park.

All ideas welcome - thanks!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
101 Posts
Can Zap Map help?

We live in Westminster and visiting EVs only pay for the first 10 minutes stay at a pay and display bay - not sure what the rules are in EC4 (City of London ?) Do your relatives have off street parling/access to visitor permits?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Do a quick internet search for cheap parking in London. There are often cut price offers for car parks in the City of London at weekends which you can pre-book.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a word of warning - there's an annual charge to the congestion charge exemption - think it was 4 days you had to spend in London in a year (ignoring Sundays) for it to be worth it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The RingGo iOS app has just installed EV locations onto its normal parking screen, which is pretty useful. It’s showing Tower Hill and Minories (literally opposite Tower of London) car parks with charging points. Not the cheapest. RingGo is found on nearly every street parking bay in london, you just enter the code and your card, easy.

My favourite central london parking is actually the large car park next to borough market which is just over London Bridge, not far to walk into City of London. I’m not 100% if they allow overnights but I’m sure I have done in the past. Best to check beforehand.

failing that Parkopedia shows you all the parking youll need, and you can use zap map to find a charger

·
Registered
55 Posts
London Wall? I think the off peak rates are reasonable and there are free polar chargers (but the mobile reception is a bit dodgy). Also there are remains of the wall right at the end you can ogle.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just a word of warning - there's an annual charge to the congestion charge exemption - think it was 4 days you had to spend in London in a year (ignoring Sundays) for it to be worth it.
Isn't that charge a tenner?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like it's changed since I got my Lexus a few years back - it was free if your car was of an ultra low emission type - BEVs and most hybrids, but was something like £45 a year, compared to £10 per trip.
Now there is no exemption for BEVs and hybrids, so it is now £15 per day, you just won't be at risk of a further £15 per day as a big polluter. Also they now charge for Sundays.
(just looking at the TFL taxation site at present).

--edit-- If you look at the EV/ZEC pages of the TFL website they say you are entitled to a 100% discount for these cars and they redirect you to the page I was previously on which clearly says we are not ....

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's still £10 per year to register for the 100% discount for full EV's. The exemption ends in 2025. Take a look at this link.

Electric vehicles and charge points
Not any more - one or more of their websites are out of date. If you go through to that page (which I had previously looked at) and click on the link for the discount you will find it now is only for certain circumstances regardless - having a BEV is not one of those.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Not any more - one or more of their websites are out of date. If you go through to that page (which I had previously looked at) and click on the link for the discount you will find it now is only for certain circumstances regardless - having a BEV is not one of those.
That's not what it says here:

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's not what it says here:
Find me the page where you apply - I'd be happy if you could as I have a Lexus and a Renaulkt Zoe, both of which would be able to get exemption. When I follow the links on that page it takes me to one where it states the only exemptions are for:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cheers - I couldn't find that yesterday :( (and I did go through that section). It's also cheaper than 2 years back when I went to register the Lexus (and decided not to).

·
Registered
549 Posts
So, to be completely clear, if you have a Battery only EV you pay £10 for a year's exemption from London Congestion Charge. This ends in 2025.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can confirm, I recently applied for the congestion charge exemption for my Leaf. Paid the £10 and uploaded an image of my V5C. Got the confirmation by email about a week later.

I don't regularly drive into central, but I do live in Greater London and figured I only have to go into the zone once for it to be worth getting the exemption. Now that the zone applies 7 days a week, it's much more likely that I'll need it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts