Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
For PHEV the congestion charge exemption will be phased out in 2021, just registered mine for £10 which was cheaper than paying 1 day's charge, charged at a podpoint @ 17p/KWH in Westminster.

Looking at Source London it looks too expensive for visitor use, even with a 4 hour cap @ 7p/min it still comes to £16 overnight for non-members.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having used it now for a couple of months I actually think Source London gets a slightly unfair reputation.

For electricity only there is no doubt it is expensive. But if you take advantage of the nightly cap, I can fill my Model 3 for around £8.60 - which makes it cheaper than most public networks.

Electricity aside though, the true advantage is parking. I am yet to go on a trip around London where there isn’t a Source charger nearby which allows me to park without concern for local parking regulations. And when I’ve done the calculations it is always cheaper than equivalent street parking options, with the added bonus of electricity thrown in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Off to visit relatives in London, thought we drive our Leaf in for the first time. Have registered for the Congestion Charge exemption, hopefully in time!

Can anybody suggest somewhere to park/ charge overnight, please? Will probably be from midday to something like 3-4pm the next day, midweek.

Location is EC4 though happy to walk 1-2km if easier/ cheaper.

Alternative is to charge on the way there, but we'd still need to park.

All ideas welcome - thanks!
I’ve used www.justpark.com a number of times when visiting London, Birmingham, Manchester, etc. for events. Due to visit London for a couple of nights in October for Trek26, have booked to park on the driveway of a residence in Vauxhall, come and go as I please, £9.70 per 24 hours. Will be registering my Zoe for the congestion charge exemption a few weeks before my trip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I've decided to park at the National Theatre. It's £11 for 26 hours (midday - 2pm next day). The downside is it's locked from 7pm - 6am, though that's actually on the plus side, too, as it's very secure!

Haven't completely decided what to do about charging. We live about 140 miles from London, so I'm wondering if we can get there in our 40kW Leaf without worrying about lack of charge.

Podpoint for 17p/kWh sounds good.

Cheers.
Ben

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you’re coming down the m1 the Milton Keynes coachway hub is a good spot, Polar and Ionity chargers. You just stay on the m1 into Brent Cross and then onto the A1 into Camden then down to the river. if you’re on m4 there’s a few new rapids around Heathrow and just stay on the M4/a4 through to Piccadilly and your basically a stones throw from the river.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quick update: Didn't need to charge as the 140 miles was covered by the Leaf. But we had time so stopped at an EBS station in Hammersmith. First one didn't work with contactless. Help desk was hopeless. Second box 50m down the road did work.

All 5 Podpoints at local Sainsbury's were in use.

And it turns out South Bank Centre parking has free Podpoints, too.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I know it's too late now but I can also endorse London Wall, Smithfield and Queen Victoria St car parks which have cheaper overnight rates and Polar chargers.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts