Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently on holiday in St.Ives, Cornwall and the most westerly rapid charger in Cornwall is in St.Erth station car park. This is operated by GeniePoint and has a £1 connection fee and 30p per kWh fee. I'm reasonably happy with this BUT what I object to is having to pay an additional £3.30 for 'parking' while I charge for a few minutes. :mad:

Am I the only one that thinks this is unreasonable? How would drivers of ICE cars feel if everytime they refuelled at a petrol station had to pay £3.30 for 'parking' in the filling station?

I can understand the parking fee if you're using a fast charger, as you could be there all day, but not for rapid charging.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf
111 Posts
Perth council charge parking fees for their city centre 22kW semi-rapids (but do give 15mins free parking). Found out the hard way when I got a parking ticket, which I am still sore about. I appealed over the lack of clear signage but they weren't having it.

I think standardised EV charger signage (including if parking fees) apply is something EVA Scotland & EVA England should lobby more on.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm reasonably happy with this BUT what I object to is having to pay an additional £3.30 for 'parking' while I charge for a few minutes. :mad:.
I take it you are sitting and waiting in car while charging? Does it require pay/display style ticket or is it all based on Cameras so you must pay else get a penalty? Do you not want to charge for 30 mins, then move your car off the Rapid to do some shopping nearby?

P&D and timed parking plays a real factor to prevent overstays. I parked on a street recently and it cost me £2.50 for 60 mins. People in London will likely laugh at that amount.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
This is why I avoided any rapids in carparks on our recent Cornwall stint. Fair enough if I am parking there for a stroll into town (never happened for us), but usually it's more work to figure out what there is around, where the local toilets are etc. if you are making a planned visit to the area vs. just stopping at a rapid typically associated with a fuel station / services where you know all the facilities you need are just there, and no worry about parking costs. I almost feel the same for rapids in hotels which seems to be Polar's favourite location in Cornwall...

I'm still not fully understanding the rapid charging at destinations like car parks etc. For a 45 minute stop it's usually too short for a trip to a town, and any longer you risk overstay / blocking it for others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts