Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken me three years to accidentally find how to do this on a ZE40. With the motor 'STOPPED' but before everything turns off, move the windscreen wiper stalk, to the right of the steering column, down to its lowest position. The wipers will move to the highest point in their sweep and stop. That makes it easier to change the wiper blades and clean the base of the screen, although the wiper arms are not hinged to let them lift without fouling on the bonnet, like the ones on my old Golf were.

On page 5.17 of the ZE40 manual it does say:

"With the ignition on and the engine switched off, lower the windscreen wiper stalk completely: they stop slightly away from the bonnet."

That was too cryptic for me to follow!

The instructions in the ZE50 are clearer, but different. You have to lift the right hand stalk twice in succession. I noticed on the left hand drive demo ZE50s, in the showrooms, that the wiper arms had additional hinges, to allow them to be lifted in this position without fouling on the bonnet. Another of the many fixes that led me to order one to replace the ZE40.

Could someone with a UK spec ZE50 let us know if the wiper arms are hinged to allow this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
On ZE50
With the ignition off, moving the wiper stalk down (no lifting required) will move the wiper blades to the middle of the screen. It's as if you are manually selecting the fastest speed for the windscreen wipers. The arms are hinged so they don't foul the bonnet. Don't think you can move them back so they stay off the screen unaided.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't look at the manual as that's often the last resort but it says...
With ignition on and engine stopped. I think this means turning off the car but before the dash turns off move the stalk down.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
166 Posts
Thanks. So the ZE50 manual is wrong then?
As someone who spent 20 minutes yesterday trying the instructions in the manual I can safely say they are bleeding wrong!
Ended up googling a YouTube video to find engine off, move stalk down is indeed the correct method.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to both of you. Well, that's one thing that was on the LHD demos that should be on our car when it finally arrives.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
498 Posts
I must remember this for when the snow comes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but I (and others) didn't know this worked on the ZE40 as well!

And the ZE50 manual doesn't agree with the video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, it seems crazy that the manual doesn't match. I also like the way video doesn't show a change to the smaller blade, i assume it clips on the same way but that might be dangerous :unsure:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,826 Posts
Yeah, it seems crazy that the manual doesn't match. I also like the way video doesn't show a change to the smaller blade, i assume it clips on the same way but that might be dangerous :unsure:
Once they choose something, a manufacturer likes to use it everywhere, so that particular mount is likely on every Renault made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts