Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part Exchanging my car this weekend.

I have shown the dealer pictures and they have offered a price for the car. I am part exchanging my 2 series for another car which is worth atleast 1.5k more than the 2 series.

My finance company is paying the dealer the full amount for the car I will be purchasing and the dealer will be sending my finance company the funds to settle my finance on my 2 series.

Am I right in saying the dealer will usually test drive the car to value the vehicle to reach an offer. However in this case the dealer has agreed a price and has been invoiced by the finance company and signed the documents.

Will a test drive be necessary?

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
664 Posts
I smell a rat. What's wrong with your car? Why would you be concerned if they drive it?

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
664 Posts
There you go, you know you're hoping to defraud the dealer. Nice. Maybe he'll dump one of his duds onto you.

Why not be honest?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,229 Posts
From previous experience, but mostly with 2 year old cars to P/X, they haven't test driven any of them. I've always kept my cars clean and tidy and have often been complimented on the condition.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
204 Posts
It depends on how old it is but beyond 3 years or beyond maybe 50k miles, it will almost certainly be shipped straight off to the auction house, so your dealer won't give a hoot either way, he will be pushing any issue down the line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don’t worry, I’ve never ever had a dealer test drive a part ex car, and I’ve always done the deal online and by telephone before coming to finalise (once happy with the new car test drive). I’ve used BMW and Audi, the most they’ve done is turn the ignition on to check for any worrying warning lights. And maybe to listen for any failure such as dual mass flywheels...

And unless it’s particularly low mileage or great condition (more concerning for Alpina and sought after M cars) then it’s going straight to auction for other car dealers to pick up and move on...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
204 Posts
The truth is, if the dealer was in any way bothered they would check it out. They almost certainly aren't. They are handling these cars by the hundred. It's just another one on the transporter to them and they have already priced in a profit out of the part ex value. To suggest you should talk your price down by suggesting it's got a stiff gearbox or whatever is just silly.

Put it this way, if you owned up to it and allowed them to knock several hundred off the price, do you honestly think they would spend the extra money fixing it? Not a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts