Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking for participants that are interested in electric vehicles to test our new product, char.gy. We're offering £35 in M&S vouchers for around 45 mins of your time, plus you get to try out a new product early. Our office is located near Shoreditch High Street Station and Liverpool Street Station.

char.gy is an on-street charging solution, and it's coming to numerous London boroughs this summer. Unlike other charge points our service will cover residential areas allowing you to charge on the street you already park on, so there's no need to make a dedicated trip to charge points that are out of your way.

We're looking to start ASAP, so If this sounds like something you'd like to be involved with either send a short email to [email protected] or call us on 02071 834250, between office hours and ask for Lawrence.

We look forward to hearing from you

The char.gy team.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here we go again...another test, survey, etc focused on London and SE. See below for my response to another thread:-

All too typical; researchers seem to think that the "centre of the universe" is in the South of England.
There are plenty of EV's in the Midlands and North of England. Why not centre your research, say in Birmingham or Manchester?
I for one wouldn't mind driving up to 50 miles, but any further isn't practical.
Come on @char.gy give other than London/the South a chance to participate.

Wouldn't it be good if forum members in Midlands/the North were given first choice and those in the South, if they wished to participate, had to travel a long distance?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Mike give the guy a break we all know everything has to happen in the smoke the rest of the UK is just a supporting cast ;)

Otoh ah well um ah you see up ear, up north like, in the real West Country that we call Salop we don't have any of them new fangled things called pavements or even light bulb on long stalks so not many places to hide a street friendly char.gy thingy.

We have a few well placed ex trees positioned equally along the roads that are real handy for catching the odd speeding mum on the school run would they do? some outfit once called BT already use them to hang their bird twanger wires (hence why they were called BT) from and I am sure we could find a more practical use for them like tethering herds of rampant EVs well mine anyway.

In fact there is a guy here posted on another thread who just bought an i3 and he only wants to go as far as a 13A plug will let him go.
He would be an ideal candidate for on street charging he could go miles at a time albeit slowly simply by moving his tether from one post to the next. simples

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Given this in an on street startup in Shoreditch looking to interview people in Shoreditch I think they have got it right here.

I can only image the frustration if they made it all the way out to the shires to interview people for the interviewees to find out this on street parking they were being asked to comment on was going to be in London.

Form filled out in blue I think!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,631 Posts
Here we go again...another test, survey, etc focused on London and SE. See below for my response to another thread:-

All too typical; researchers seem to think that the "centre of the universe" is in the South of England.
There are plenty of EV's in the Midlands and North of England. Why not centre your research, say in Birmingham or Manchester?
I for one wouldn't mind driving up to 50 miles, but any further isn't practical.
Come on @char.gy give other than London/the South a chance to participate.

Wouldn't it be good if forum members in Midlands/the North were given first choice and those in the South, if they wished to participate, had to travel a long distance?
Forgive me, but from the three years I lived in Birmingham I could fairly safely establish that most people in the Birmingham Metropolitan Area either didn't drive, or had access to off-street parking. I observed very little in the way of regular on street parking being a necessity in the midlands, like it is for almost everyone in London.

Given regular charging for people who cannot access regular off-street private parking is probably the biggest challenge to face EVs (given that over half of homes in the country don't have practical off street parking), London and the South East is probably the best place to start given it has a large concentration of EVs and a large concentration of people who have to park on the street.

I recall back around pre-2010, masses of research around EVs in both East and West Midlands being done by the Universities, who now appear to have decided they don't really care anymore?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello!

char.gy is currently being designed and built in London, and will soon trial in a number of London boroughs this summer. However we also have interest from other councils including the midlands and are seeking to trial in other parts of the UK with the support of councils.

We would love to get char.gy rolled out across the country, but we need your help to lobby your council so we can gain their support. The best thing to do is to go to our lobby council page and submit your details, so we can lobby the council on your behalf. We're looking to trial, and user test all over the country once we get enough support!

Thanks all for the responses and interest

The char.gy team.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Can I ask of your offering a business based solution that could use the lampostd in current business car parks as charge points? Maybe use an RFID scanner type device so they can track how much each person is using instead of being based in the cables?
I have some other ideas if you want to drop me a PM that would help with other variations and tie ins.

·
Registered
223 Posts
@Kingpleb1 I had a chat with the char.gy guys at Cenex last year. It’s basically a very compact standard type 2 EVSE that is initiated by an app, so they don’t need a special cable. This does mean that it is a little bit more complicated hardware wise than Ubitricity where the modem and metering is located in the cable

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
50p kWh for my phev that's as much or more than petrol, what's the point?. I think this no use for phev users, the contract rates assume you do 800+ /1600+miles a month to get near the quoted price. i feel the pricing is a bit steep and overall for an average BEV user they would be better off charging at a local rapid as needed.
One of the ways of encouraging electric cars is to keep the running costs below ICE cars, this I don't believe is it

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have pointed out to them on a couple of occasions that their rates are far too high even for BEV owners unless you are doing very high mileages. I’m in the position of not have off-street charging and whilst I’m prepared to pay a reasonable premium for the convenience of charging near home, the char.gy rates mean that they just aren’t competitive even against an expensive PAYG rapid charge operator such as Genie Point, which is a real shame.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
OP last posted in this thread two years ago. It is dead.... Lets keep it that way.
I've noticed some forums have a policy, or automatic function, that locks threads 6 months or so after the last post was made.
Makes sense to me as it's infuriating to dive into a 'new' thread only to find later that it's a zombie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.