Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are you interested in the future of electric vehicle charging? We're looking for participants that are interested in electric vehicles to test our new product, char.gy.

char.gy is an on-street charging solution, and it's coming to numerous London boroughs this summer. Unlike other charge points our service will cover residential areas allowing you to charge on the street you park on. Because the units are mounted to lampposts you will be able to charge whenever and wherever you already park, so there is no need to make the trip to a dedicated charge points that are out of your way.

We would like volunteers to come in and hands-on test our product and then discuss their experience with it and what they think about our offering. We're offering £20 in M&S vouchers for around 45 mins of your time, plus you get to try out a new product early. Our office is located near Shoreditch High Street Station and Liverpool Street Station.

We're looking to start ASAP, so If this sounds like something you'd like to be involved with either send a short email to [email protected] or call us on 02071 834250, between 9 – 6pm and ask for Lawrence.

Please bear in mind char.gy is a type 2 chargepoint.

Visit http://char.gy to find out more

We look forward to hearing from you

The char.gy team.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I think this is why they are doing trials, so they can establish the right business model and service.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If the 69p includes parking that would be different but if these are located somewhere that you can park for free then they just won't be used payg.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think they're more aiming for the large number of Londoners who don't have off street parking. This option would let people carry on parking on the street but charge from the lamp post, and so avoid trailing cables across pavements.

Of course it would rely on people always being able to park close enough to the same lamp post every night, so realistically, you'd need to have the units installed on 2 adjacent posts.

Very pricy though even on the top fixed monthly tariff.

·
Registered
146 Posts
10x the cost of charging off peak (+/-) for the payg model Costs 1.5x the petrol cost of a 45 mpg car.
6x the cost of off peak for the for the 100 kWh model, so equivalent to petrol car
2x the cost for the 400 kWh model. So similar to on peak electricity costs but you need to be doing 1600 miles/month to be viable?

Surely nobody in their right mind would think this was a good deal, or use it?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think they're more aiming for the large number of Londoners who don't have off street parking. This option would let people carry on parking on the street but charge from the lamp post, and so avoid trailing cables across pavements.
If you cannot reserve both the charge point and its adjacent parking space, then it would be unreliable. Possibly OK if you are the only one in your area who has an EV, but that hopefully will not last forever.

A really nice idea, but only likely to be used occasionally I would have thought, due to the cost.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
The idea is a good one, the proposed price structure simply reinforces other ongoing discussions re finding a viable pricing system for charge points.
So far nobody has found a method that does not depend on grants, or other financing.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I really feel sorry for anyone that owns an EV with the only option being on street charging - pretty much at the mercy of everyone!

Many moons ago I lived in Charter Street in Gillingham.
I was lucky to be able to park in the same street let alone anywhere near my house!
I simply wouldn't even contemplate an EV without off street parking and charging.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hmm expensive and a smartphone required. Not everyone has or wants a twit box.
Will need policing on most urban streets to prevent iceing I guess If this is on top of residents parking charges my feeling is its a non-starter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
No way at 69p/kWh or £40/£70 per month.
I'll stick with Polar Plus - char.gy get real!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts