Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, anyone have difficulty getting hold of Ampera parts? I had a bump in my Ampera last November and still waiting on Vauxhall to supply the parts required to Drive Leicester.

Have complained to Vauxhall but apart from raising a case about it they've not said how long it could take.

Anyone have similar issues?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Might be worth checking out the breakers yards online, as there have been a few Amperas broken up. You might get lucky!

What part are you after? E.g. if wing-mirror, several guys here have had repairs etc done, and may have what you want left over.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I never can understand these extended parts shortsges as surely they don't make them to order. If you go online o the US you can find them instantly and courier time is only days. Only the front and rear bumpers etc should be harder to source there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. The insurance should be taking care of the repairs and I haven't been sent a copy of the damage assessment form so not entirely certain what they are going to replace and what could be repaired but definitely need a new nearside headlamp unit as that is smashed. The front bumper and bonnet are damaged but unsure as to whether they can just be repaired.

I certainly didn't expect things to take this long and not too happy driving round in a damaged car it looks terrible currently.

·
Ampera Advocate
329 Posts
Dear Briz100
By coincidence, Russ and I are also in Leicester and HandyAndy used to live here ! That must make Leicester a premier league location for Amperas :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Parts are hard to get hold of for UK based repairers - gives the insurance co's plenty of leverage to write the cars off. That unfortunately happened to my friend. Although he did buy it back and fix it after the payout :)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Basically all the parts are held by Opel in Germany, and they only send a lorry over every 6 weeks with parts ordered - there's no way to expedite this. You just have to wait until the lorry next arrives, then get the car booked in (if it's not already)...

Welcome to support for a car that stopped being built 6 years ago... pity but reality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm I expected a delay of course given the Ampera isn't built anymore but it has been more like 11 weeks now. I love the car and have had it over 3 years but once repaired I'll be waving goodbye to it and never getting a Vauxhall again the service is just too poor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it’s a Chevy volt part you cat get them easily and cheaper from the USA I got my drivers mirror , mats from the USA however the bumpers are Opel / Vauxhall’s parts , that said most EVs including Tesla suffer from shortages of spare parts as they are still relative small number of vehicles and spares

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. The insurance should be taking care of the repairs and I haven't been sent a copy of the damage assessment form so not entirely certain what they are going to replace and what could be repaired but definitely need a new nearside headlamp unit as that is smashed. The front bumper and bonnet are damaged but unsure as to whether they can just be repaired.

I certainly didn't expect things to take this long and not too happy driving round in a damaged car it looks terrible currently.
Hi Briz1000

Sorry to hear about your prang - I'm also needing to look for parts for my Volt. Vauxhall in Belfast must have been leveling my lamps last year for MOT - a few days after getting the car back, I blew a headlight bulb. When I went to change it, I noticed the headlamp unit loose, and a white adjustment screw lying loose. VX didn't respond to my email querying why the lamp was loose. (I think there's a tiny part missing for it to screw into)
So I just changed the bulb and drive on for a year - left it in for pre-MOT service today and handed them the screw to sort out the lamp. So they ring me around lunchtime to tell me I need a complete new headlamp, no other fix is possible! So I sort of laughed and said how much?
Who wants to guess the price of a single Volt headlamp bought & fitted by VX in Belfast?

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it’s a Chevy volt part you cat get them easily and cheaper from the USA I got my drivers mirror , mats from the USA however the bumpers are Opel / Vauxhall’s parts , that said most EVs including Tesla suffer from shortages of spare parts as they are still relative small number of vehicles and spares
Hi Jeremy

Is it difficult to get parts sent from the states? What about customs etc? A lorry driver dinged my bumper outside Dublin last year and I'm trying to find the best options for getting a replacement rear bumper.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Briz1000

Sorry to hear about your prang - I'm also needing to look for parts for my Volt. Vauxhall in Belfast must have been leveling my lamps last year for MOT - a few days after getting the car back, I blew a headlight bulb. When I went to change it, I noticed the headlamp unit loose, and a white adjustment screw lying loose. VX didn't respond to my email querying why the lamp was loose. (I think there's a tiny part missing for it to screw into)
So I just changed the bulb and drive on for a year - left it in for pre-MOT service today and handed them the screw to sort out the lamp. So they ring me around lunchtime to tell me I need a complete new headlamp, no other fix is possible! So I sort of laughed and said how much?
Who wants to guess the price of a single Volt headlamp bought & fitted by VX in Belfast?
Hi Briz1000

£875. Yes, £875.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Try rockauto,folk's have mentioned them before
Rockauto
The price seems more reasonable then add shipping duty and vat
Seems these are available on the US ebay as well

·
Registered
256 Posts
I sense someone is extracting some urine over there......
You bet.
I thought I would be clever and spoke to a different NI VX dealer, asked him to guess the price of a Volt headlamp for a laugh. He guessed two grand. I swear. I have a hollow laugh, but he wasn't laughing. Beyond parody.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If buying headlights from USA, be aware that the dip mechanism operates a mechanical shutter, and I expect it's a different shutter over there, as ours gives a raised beam on the very left of the dip-beam. I'd expect USA model to be the opposite way round.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts