Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I understand it correctly there was a small production window when "Wireless Charging for Phone" could not be specified as an option. Having now installed Charging compartement for your VW Passat 2020 - INBAY can thoroughly recommend this OEM quality product. Unfortunately not sure whether post Brexit but UK no longer or never was a European shipping choice, however at time of post can be sourced from Amazon.uk inbay 241320-57-1 Storage Compartment for VW Arteon (3H) and Passat B8 (3G) Fast Wireless Charging: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Suffice to say installation not quite as simple as instructions but won't bore anyone with details, however anyone interested in pursuing please ask.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting. Its a shame it doesn't incorporate wireless connection to apple carplay. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I would still need to connect the usb from phone to car to enable car play ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
This sounds great. Much better than the cheap pad I got that doesn't really fit anywhere. Had thought about getting a dash style wireless charger and popping it in the armrest but this is a much better option. Just a touch expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having looked at you pics again I have just ordered one from Amazon.
Any tips for fitting would be very welcome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had a quick look at this last night and a glance over the instructions. It would seem that I missed the fact it is for 2020 cars. I feel quite stupid now but really want to have a decent wireless charger in readiness for my AAwireless dongle. Can anyone confirm if this can be fitted to a 2018 model gte or whether Inbay do a version for my car?

Right. I have found the correct item on amazon and it cheaper so happy there. The last point that needs clearing up is how do you know if you have the smoking pack? This one above and the correct one state "only models without smoking pack". I have 12v socket in front of the gear lever. Is this defined as the smokers pack?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe my car has the wireless charging pad fitted as standard. The rubber pad that sits in there has the phone logo imprinted on it. I have never actually used it though as my phone is too big to comfortably sit flat on the pad - something to bear in mind if you do go and fit the aftermarket Qi charger, you will always be looking at the dimensions of your next phone !

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 12v socket in front of the gear lever. Is this defined as the smokers pack?
Pretty sure you would have to have "ashtray" with metalwork suitable for stubbing out cigarette butts if option present. Didn't appreciate just how much disassembly required with 241320-52-1 for 2014-19 Passat compared with 2020 one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@aspergerguy thanks for that. Makes total sense. From what I can tell also it's to do with if you have a 12v socket in front of the gear lever and not at the back of the arm rest. I have both so I'm hoping I'll be able to blank off the front one or even use that for the supply rather that going all the way from the back of the centre console.

Do you know what the second smaller cable is for?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do you know what the second smaller cable is for?
If you mean the smaller cable with 2-pin connectors, isn't it just extension cable to reach QI charging plate if you are connecting to the OEM plug behind rear console with 230v 150W socket?
Strangely in instructions for 2014-19 Passat they don't suggest prising out this panel to access back of 12V socket which they do for 2020 version. I found out when I did this that the enclosed spring plate flew off and have yet to fathom where exactly it should be located upon re-assembly.:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually I've just looked at the photos more closely and I think I understand it better now. The two large plugs are go-betweens for the 12v socket with the small plug going to the charge plate. Having seen the cables do you think plugging in to only the supply side of a 12v socket would work? Would mean I should be able to use the supply for the socket by the gear lever.

Where did that clip actually start? Or is that what you are struggling with? How long is it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having seen the cables do you think plugging in to only the supply side of a 12v socket would work? Would mean I should be able to use the supply for the socket by the gear lever.
Where did that clip actually start? Or is that what you are struggling with? How long is it?
My concern with socket by gear lever is that you have enough "vertical height" below console as Inbay black piggy back connector slides into back of socket and white OEM connector slides into other end. Probably as a consequence of recent cold weather Inbay connector was a very "tight" fit and needed to apply a bit of WD40 as lubricant to seat fully.

With regard to retaining clip "my bad" for not showing its scale and was lying amongst all wires, when eventually got housing with AC, 12V and USB-C socket out of console. Really only posted it on the slightest chance another forum user might recognise it. When days are a bit longer and brighter I'll look closely to see if can find any scratch marks it may have made in side of housing upon removal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That makes sense. I'll have a look at the space available once the correct version arrives.

I'll also keep an eye out for the offending clip. Could well be version specific so my 18 plate won't have it. You never know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there, I have a 2017 Passat GTE and I'd love to add wireless charging, not least as I've pre-ordered one of these: AAWireless

I've been in touch with Inbay but they tell me their kit isn't compatible with right hand drive cars. I wonder if you could clarify please?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too have a right hand drive. Might get a chance to look at fitting it in the next few days so will let you know. I've not seen anything say about left or right drive. Crossing my fingers it's going to be ok.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I've now ordered one as well. I have a feeling the standard UK configuration with the 12V socket on the left is not compatible (I think this is probably the smoker's pack or at least part of it) but after some heavy research last night I came across a part that does look compatible: 3G2863071A. N.B. 3G1 means LHD, 3G2 means RHD. I'm not clear what the difference is between LHD and RHD in this case but from experience with other parts it's likely to be enough that there's no way it'll ever fit. Managed to find one for sale in Germany weirdly. Hopefully I won't have to pay the cost again in import duty...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've now got both parts and can confirm that the RHD VW part is very slightly different from the LHD one. It's hardly even possible to tell by eye, but there's just enough difference that the Inbay part doesn't quite fit. However, I think with a bit of modification it will all fit together OK. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All done! Had to make some modifications to the Inbay part but took me about 1.5 hours to fit start to finish. Plus there's already a compatible socket at the front so none of the rear vent/tunnel need dismantling. Really pleased with the result!

·
Registered
56 Posts
So just to confirm, you managed to find a different model part designed for right hand drive. Could you describe how it differs to the LHD? Would it be possible to modify (in your opinion) the version I have for my RHD?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Correct. The part for I found right hand drive looks identical to the one in the Inbay instructions with the USB socket on the right. The part that was in my car (which I think is probably in most UK spec cars) has a 12V socket on the left and a cubby to the right of it. This area is one moulding and doesn't clip off as the other one does. Even if it did, the area it left behind wouldn't be compatible with the Inbay part. I've put a picture below so you can see.

In terms of differences between the LHD and RHD parts, they're just a few mm out here and there. I cut off the two clips from the back of the Inbay part and without these, the two bits line up almost perfectly. I used some superglue along the channel at the back to hold them together. The fit of the mat isn't 100% but it's good enough that you wouldn't know. It doesn't sound great, but I'm a stickler for detail, and the finished result is definitely very good.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts