Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm the real MPG on Honest John's website for the effective MPG for the GTE.
156.9 - Official MPG
63.7–82.0 - Real MPG
74.2 - Real MPG Average
47% - of official MPG

It's just that they have screwed up the figures for the saloon GTE, so I can't trust the published figures.

What are your experiences and does regenerative breaking make an impact on longer journeys.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It completely depends on your usage pattern and how much you charge it. If you can give us some idea of your typical journey lengths and how often you will have access to charging that will help people give you a better answer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm retired, so no regular commute. It will be mostly local travel, but with a number of long trips each year at least one into Europe (going down to Italy). I feel. diesel may be more frugal but I don't really want to go that route.

I also have PV panels, so I can charge during the day for very little money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm retired, so no regular commute. It will be mostly local travel, but with a number of long trips each year at least one into Europe (going down to Italy). I feel. diesel may be more frugal but I don't really want to go that route.

I also have PV panels, so I can charge during the day for very little money.
I'm looking at a used GTE as an interim vehicle before going fully EV in around 2 years time when offerings have settled down a bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unfortunately your pattern of usage would cost you dearly since retired with no daily commute, as basically you are just lugging a battery pack around Europe or UK on longer journeys and paying the price in increased petrol costs; you would probably be looking at mid 40's when touring with full load. Don't get me wrong wafting along in a Passat GTE is a very pleasant place to be, but potential repair costs of presumably a higher mileage older version have also to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Your usage sounds ideal for a PHEV. Local trips under 20 miles you should be able to do electric only so no petrol burned then.

For very long trips on the motorway I get about 55mpg as there is not much effect from the charged battery. That number may be less in the Passât given it is a heavier car but I'm sure Passat owners can advise you.

For in between trips this may give you some idea, but bear in mind this is for the Golf.
48 mile round trip - ~100mpg plus fully charged battery
60- 80 mile round trip on country roads (not fast motorway)
- 60-70mpg + fully charged battery.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
We did a holiday to south of France in our Passat GTE estate, fully loaded 5-up with a roof box I did 38-40mpg on the Autoroutes. In our previous diesel Touran on a similar journey I would manage around 48-50mpg, so you do take a hit for long journeys as expected.

However the overall benefits in local journeys with regular charging far outweighed the occasional extra-long journey for me. My regular commute (34 mile round trip) averaged over 120mpg in terms of petrol use. My rule of thumb was journeys up to 100 miles would better than diesel (high 50's mpg at 100 miles if battery charged). Journeys over 100 miles would be worse, but not bad IMHO, e.g. recent stats from WeConnect: Gloucestershire - Edinburgh, 353 miles, battery fully charged: 46.3mpg. Return journey, no battery charge, 43.5mpg.

In terms of cost don't forget the price of charging the battery (8.5kWh for me, at 5p/kWh with Octopus Go, = 43p).

Plus you have all the benefits of pre-heating and de-icing the car in winter from the comfort of your kitchen, great driving experience and far better mpg in heavy traffic or motorway traffic jams with adaptive cruise control, etc. Even doing 20k miles per year I'm really glad I chose the Passat and still worked out better-than-diesel mpg overall for me.

Reactions: gladini

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. Quite a bit to digest. Bruce's comments are timely as I'm intending to drive down to the south of France at the end of this month.

I just need to get rid of my 15 year old Audi Allroad with 23mpg. Brilliant car, but the environmental and financial cost of filling the tank is now really grinding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bruce, just noticed that your Gloucestershire - Edinburgh trip provides twice the mpg that I currently get.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, I've been happy with the economy overall. My south of France trip is absolutely worst case for me; fully loaded with roof box and at 130km/h speeds. Edinburgh stats more usual for long journeys. A diesel Passat estate would probably still make nearer 60mpg on an Edinburgh trip though I would guess. I found with a PHEV that the fuel economy compromise on longer journeys is worth it based on my usual journeys, but everyone has their own requirements at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,910 Posts
I will offer my mpg theory from three years of using my Golf GTE.

My use case is like yours - retired with a few long journeys. I do not charge at all on my long journeys but just run in hybrid mode using petrol which gives me a real mpg of 45 to 48. That's measured between tank fills, not a guess by some algorithm. Also driving normally up to the speed limits on motorways mostly.

Your mpg for a journey depends on the proportion of the mileage you cover on electric. Local journeys on pure electric give an infinite mpg. Those have worked out at 50% of our mileage although 90% of our journeys. The other half are the hybrid miles so overall mpg for three years is 90.

If you reckon your first 15 miles as electric (winter) or 20 in summer at motorway speeds, you can calculate the overall mpg for any length of single journey.

If anyone is interested I can do some worked examples when my brain is operational.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, it looks like we will be selling our Passat due to changing work circumstances, so we will go back to being a 2 car household. @zanc if you're still looking and potentially interested then let me know. I'll put a post up in the for sale section on this forum when I get chance to wash it and take some photos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it looks like we will be selling our Passat due to changing work circumstances, so we will go back to being a 2 car household. @zanc if you're still looking and potentially interested then let me know. I'll put a post up in the for sale section on this forum when I get chance to wash it and take some photos.
Hi Bruce, I'm still looking, so could be interested What's the spec/age/milage?

·
Registered
Kona64
1,388 Posts
okay so if you have a day's long driving to do, and you want something to do during, try the following. I know some newer GTEs have clever satnav-mode that might stuff the below suggestions, but, try and see.

It also would help to have an unwilling teenager/8-12year old who says Maths isn't needed in the real world maybe put them in the front passenger seat laws allowing. And needs you to sit at a steady speed below 132kph.

So, post a bio-break or lunch-service-station stop, when driving back up onto the autoroute, ensure the car is still in default eMode and draining anything from the HV - you might be at 2-4miles.
When it hits zero, and goes into Hybrid, manually put in it in BatteryCharge AND reset the From Start trip computer.

Q1 how long before the GOM >starts< to rise ? ( time, distance )
Q2 how long before the GOM hits full and it goes back in to Hybrid ( time, distance )
Q3 extra credit for the unwilling note taker - log how far and time each mile increase on the GOM occurs, is it linear given the steady speed you're at. Get them to do a pen paper graph later in the day.
Q4 After 20mins force yourself to look at the since start ave mpg - did you pre guess right about its value ?
Q5 Did you look at the display result for Q4 > without crying < ?
Q6 Did you spot the fuel gauge needle crashing downwards ? (Hint have at least 1/3 tank of unleaded)
Q7 How stunned are you at how long it took to put the first 5miles back in ?

Note: the Q5 value is what a GTE does every time the GOM goes to zero, why you should never let it totally hit zero in normally around home driving multiple times a day.

You will of course come off the autoroute with a full battery, useful for then going into eMode for the last few miles to allow you to zip around when doing U-turns due to the " it was back there" helpful comments from the back seat drivers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts