Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Passat GTE estate yesterday (non-Advance), absolutely love it and it's been worth the wait.

One question though; I specced the LED Premium Headlamps (really liked them on the GTE Advance loaner that I tried before I ordered), and they are physically installed, including the headlight washers, but the U-shaped daytime running lights are not coming on (just the 'C's under the bumper). The outer 'U's do come on as sidelights though. Also the dynamic curve feature doesn't seem to work either; full beams are excellent but don't seem to move, and I recall from the loaner that the full beam 'steering' is quite effective and obvious (one of the reasons I specced them).

It almost seems as if the lights are installed but not fully activated. Dealer is checking it tomorrow morning but, just for my sanity and dodgy memory (loaner was back in February), can anyone else with the premium lights confirm that you do get U's and C's for DRLs, and is there a way to test dynamic curve, e.g. park in front of garage with full beams on, go lock to lock and watch the beams move?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your mode is not switched to economy as this stops the dynamic curve lights from functioning. That is what I have found on mine.
Cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dynamics curve lighting is easy to spot when driving in the dark. Just swerve left to right and see the light beam in front swerve in front of you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your mode is not switched to economy as this stops the dynamic curve lights from functioning. That is what I have found on mine.
Good tip, thanks, that's something I may well have done, I had been playing with different modes. Will give it another try tonight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only the 'C' is a permanently on DRL. Need to switch from Auto to sidelight to get C and U lights on.
Thanks, the dealer said this is as expected also. I will have to blame my memory in that case, although I would have sworn the loan car I had showed the 'U's also. I'm so convinced because up until the loan car, I had read the spec and brochures and couldn't really understand the reference to U-shaped DRLs, finally when I saw the loaner it all made sense. Oh well...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good tip, thanks, that's something I may well have done, I had been playing with different modes. Will give it another try tonight.
Definitely caused by being in Eco mode, thanks for the tip. All fine in normal. VW could certainly have been clearer in the manual between what constitutes dynamic cornering lights and dynamic curve lights as mentioned in the brochure/price list.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My second-hand 2017 GTE Advance came with "Premium LED" headlights. Checking the Owner Manual it says that there should be an auto-dipping function activated by pushing the turn indicator/headlamp flasher lever forward when the headlights are on and an "A" symbol should appear. Checking this out it only raises the beams and the blue main beam symbol comes on. Am I doing something wrong or do the Premium LEDs not actually have this function? I read a comment about some functions not being available in Eco mode - which is the mode the car is in. May I also ask what "VCDS" mentioned above is? Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am I doing something wrong or do the Premium LEDs not actually have this function?
Mine certainly does NOT come with the auto-dipping lights, they are not part of the Premium LED spec. From what I recall, the auto-dipping function was part of one of the driver assistance packs, so maybe not included on Advance models either. Testing the Eco mode is easy enough for you, but I'd be surprised (I don't use this, doesn't seem to be huge eco benefit that I can notice).
VCDS is a cunning VW group programming system, hugely capable in the right hands: https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine certainly does NOT come with the auto-dipping lights, they are not part of the Premium LED spec. From what I recall, the auto-dipping function was part of one of the driver assistance packs, so maybe not included on Advance models either. Testing the Eco mode is easy enough for you, but I'd be surprised (I don't use this, doesn't seem to be huge eco benefit that I can notice).
VCDS is a cunning VW group programming system, hugely capable in the right hands: https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/?
Thanks Bruce. The wording in the Owners' Manual confused me. I thought that a Premium lighting system would include auto dipping - which was on lower spec Passats that I hired before getting the GTE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, i got the same problem, the lights do not move while cornering. i don't have profile selection in my passat gte. so is mine allways in eco?
i don't understand that a car this expensive doesn't do cornering lights...
does anyone has the same experience by not having the option of driver profile selection?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts