Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Thanks for a wonderful forum. I have had my Passat GTE (2019) for two weeks now, and love it. I am all on electricity during my 10-20 km daily cruises around town.

One question: I will soon do a longer trip (400 km) to another town, stay there a few days without possibility to charge and then drive back home. Given that I start with a full battery, what is best? Just run on Hybrid all the time, which means that the battery will quickly go down to minimum levels and stay there. Or is it better to run on "Battery Hold" for the duration of the trip, keeping the charging level around 50-80%?

One observation: There is a lot of discussions regarding how the "Guess-o-meter" calculates the available distance that it shows after charging. I think it could be as simple as this:
It just takes the usable amount of kWh in the battery (a) and calculate the range that gives, based on your kWh/distance performance from your last ride. The usable amount is of course not the whole battery, as it will keep around 10% as a "minimum" level, when it forcefully exists the electricity-only-mode. And a full battery is not 100% as it never lets you load up to 100%.
I have the 9.9 kWh battery which probably has degraded to 9.2 kWh (2.3% per year), so I guess the maximum usable amount on battery is around 7.5 kWh (8.5 is top, and 1.0 is minimum level). So of I were running on 18 kWh/100 km the last time I drove the car, it would show 42 km range after a full charge.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
From memory the battery will gradually recharge in hybrid mode. On long journeys I used to wait until it charged back up to about 20 miles, then run it down in EV again. It might not have been much more efficient that way, but it felt like it was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
did a 515 mile round trip in my 2018 Golf GTE in Hybrid mode last week on mainly motorways. After a day of driving the car had covered 112 miles in electric only. The first 200 miles the consumption was better with more electric use but overall I was surprised at how much electric was used or generated.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The car will regen a bit of energy here and there, but there's no point trying to force it to charge the battery from the engine. So essentially you have a set amount of electricity when you leave the place where you can charge, and you should just use it where it is most effective. The most effective place to use your electric ration is around town - probably the portion at the start and end of your journey when you're off the motorway. While you're on the motorway just leave it in hybrid mode and it will generally use the petrol engine at high speeds. Only force it to use electricity at high speeds if you know you've got electricity to spare i.e. you won't be doing much town driving before your next charging opportunity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts