Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a tow bar for my 2017 GTE passat and will be installing it myself. I have the option of a generic 13 pole wiring kit or a vehicle specific which will require coding. My question is how do you know if your car has the preparations for the tow wiring? I looked inside the back quarter panel and couldn't see any additional wiring, plus the tow related fuses were not in the fuse box which leads me to think that it's not prepared. If anyone could add a picture it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it's a generic kit, I'd check carefully whether it integrates with the vehicle systems (I suspect not if simple relay-type kit). We had a VW Touran a few years ago, I specced a proper VW tow bar and wiring with the dealer but discovered they had just installed any old cheap version when I collected it; they had to refit. The benefit of the VW wiring kit was integration with ABS and brakes, giving you trailer sway protection against snaking, and automatic disabling of rear reversing sensors and fog light when towing. Also if you locked your car with trailer attached, anyone disconnecting the trailer lights socket would set off the vehicle alarm. So many pros of a proper kit.

Reactions: Jonesyg and dk6780

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ordered a Witter tow bar and vehicle specific wiring kit, i'm installing it myself, ill post the results here for other people thinking of doing the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Fang2260 below are pictures of where the trailer preparation cables should be, I am 99.9% sure mine is not prepared. I installed the tow bar yesterday but have not started the electrics as yet.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
On the debate of a bypass relay versus an integrated wiring kit that allegedly integrates with ABS and stability control systems:

Keep in mind the following: the vehicle manufacturer has no idea of the mass and aerodynamic loadings coming from the towed vehicle. There is no control if the towed vehicle brakes. Small trailers impart aerodynamic loadings on the towing vehicle. If mass ratios, speed limits and thriving to the conditions are respected, the theoretical probably miscalibrated ABS and stability controls are irrelevant.
For towing large caravans where aerodynamic loadings are the main issue, anyone really worried about stability and safety should fit dynamic mechanical stabilisers as well as respecting caravan mass distribution and tyre selection and pressures.
The ABS integration is just a sop for suckers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All i'm having on it is a bike rack so have no concern about ABS and load sensor correction etc etc, I have access to VCDS so I can turn this on or off as i please anyway. I have the full Canbus wiring kit so will more than likely fit it at some point, but not in any rush.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
For anyone towing a caravan, especially a large one, BEST solution out there for enhancing stability is made by AlKO and uses active control of the caravan brakes. Totally independent of the towing vehicles stability or ABS system and not reliant on any dubious claims that integrated wiring kits improve safety
1592733864555.png

1 - 9 of 9 Posts