Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 children and we are using our Leaf with a children seat on the passenger side next to the driver. You can find in the handbook that you have to switch off the airbag with forward facing children seat. I can't undersand this because we are using my wifes Toyota Yaris with switched on airbag and Toyota says that the airbag has to be in switch on position. I would like to know which is better if I switch the airbag off or I leave it on?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I thought it was too have the air bag off for rear facing seats.

My personal experience of air bags is to get rid of them (below 40mph).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was too have the air bag off for rear facing seats.

My personal experience of air bags is to get rid of them (below 40mph).
Ok, but my daughter is 6 and I would like to use the car on highway and I think with airbag would be safer. The sitting position is almost the same and I checked the EURONCAP video and I feel that the airbag could help but Nissan says you have to switch it of always if you are using forward or backward facing baby or children seats...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forward facing = air bag on.
https://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/owners/manuals/LEAF/2018-Nissan-LEAF.pdf
I checked the Canadian handbook above and I have found this (page: 150):
"For example, if a child is in the front passenger seat, the NISSAN Advanced Air Bag System is designed to turn the front passenger air bag OFF in accordance with the regulations. Also, if a child restraint of the type specified in the regulations is on the seat, its weight and the child’s weight can be detected and cause the air bag to turn OFF"

This is strange for me and normaly I would do the same like you...

According my handbook (hungarian) I have to switch the airbag off...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Different rules for different markets, set it in accordance of your location by referring to the manual that came with the car. General UK recommendations is as Dan said, rear facing, disable it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Jazz has numerous warnings saying that if you must never fit a rear facing child seat in the front passenger seat as the airbag cannot be disabled, and if triggered could kill the child.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Different rules for different markets, set it in accordance of your location by referring to the manual that came with the car. General UK recommendations is as Dan said, rear facing, disable it.
Rear facing off is clear, but we are speaking about the case of forward facing and why do I need to switch it off... Nissan says off, Toyota (Yaris Hybrid) says on and I don't know which car is safer? Toyota Yaris with enabled airbag or Nissan Leaf with disabled?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts