Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started this thread for anyone interested in the timeline of ordering an iD3. I will update this main post so readers don't need to scroll through the whole post.

Car details: iD.3 Pure Performance - 110 kW (150 PS) - 2021 model - Stonewashed Blue Metallic

Week 0# - 18th March - ordered from VW Dealer​
Week 1# - 24th March - order confirmation arrives with non binding delivery date set to August​
Week 4# - 15th April - non binding delivery date updated to July 2nd​
Week 5# - 19th April - non binding delivery date updated to June 18th (order schedule allocation )​
Week 5# - 22nd April - non binding delivery date updated to June 4th (Entry Flexible funnel of change)​
Week 5# - 23rd April - non binding delivery date updated to June 1st (status A100)​
Week 12# - 13th June - The car now has a VIN number (FIN over here)​

Current status is: Anybodies guess... VW, in their infinite wisdom, disabled our ability to read production information using the commissions number. They alone know why.

I will update when there is a change.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's a pity you're not near Emden to give the port master a kick up the arse from me. My car's been in Emden 6 weeks and I was promised it by the end of the month- seems impossible now.
It's not just you, I've got a mate after an Audi in the same position. It's something about a lack of boats or some boat related guff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Despite the .com domain, most people who post here are in the UK. It will be interesting to hear how you get on.
That's what I thought, give the forum members an insight on how long the process takes without shipping time. Although the car will eventually need to travel from Zwickau to me, probably by train.

Just for your information I am British, but living in Germany hence why I like to post here.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's not just you, I've got a mate after an Audi in the same position. It's something about a lack of boats or some boat related guff.
I've read that once a car gets delayed at Emden it ends up sitting at the bottom of a pile and newer ( more recently arrived at Emden) cars frequently get on a ship first.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Non binding delivery date has been updated twice in one week :)
In a good way (advancing) or in a bad way (retreating)?

Here's the latest official VW guff for Emden delays, as supplied by my dealership:-

April shipping from Emden
  • VW0496-21
    19 APR 2021

We are currently working through backlog of cars that are due to be shipped from Emden.
There is a small volume of required units that have been dwelling at status code 38 for longer than the anticipated SLA. This is partly because of UK port capacity and new customs regulations following Brexit, which is causing some delays.
Be assured that cars that have been called off and have been dwelling at status code 38 the longest are being prioritised for shipping, as well as anything that was in Emden and called off by the shipping deadline for April delivery.
This is being managed centrally by logistics and Emden – please do not contact the sales and generalist team or your area sales manager on this topic.

Article author
Rhona Calder, Supply Development Manager

It's all complete lies- my company ships a lot into the UK major ports and all the Brexit stuff was ironed out early Feb. Car manufacturers have their own allocated car compounds so it's not like thousands of tons of Aliexpress tat from China can fill those compounds - they get filled by cars!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
It's all complete lies- my company ships a lot into the UK major ports and all the Brexit stuff was ironed out early Feb. Car manufacturers have their own allocated car compounds so it's not like thousands of tons of Aliexpress tat from China can fill those compounds - they get filled by cars!
I’m struggling to get aviation components out of Germany and Italy at the moment and latest back to normal estimates are now May, so there are definitely still Brexit/Pandemic related delays having an effect.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I’m struggling to get aviation components out of Germany and Italy at the moment and latest back to normal estimates are now May, so there are definitely still Brexit/Pandemic related delays having an effect.
Perhaps it's my line of work - Pharma. A lot of hard work went into preventing delays to medicines reaching the UK from the EU. Either way, if a dock is too full for incoming cars, it would only be full with other cars not reaching dealerships, and that doesn't seem to be the case. The Tyne Dock car compounds ( I can see them from the end of the street with binoculars!) are pretty much empty - outgoing stuff from Nissan Sunderland is well down and incoming stuff is moving quickly because car sales are well down and those dealerships are keen to get those cars to customers and bank their money.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
Perhaps it's my line of work - Pharma. A lot of hard work went into preventing delays to medicines reaching the UK from the EU. Either way, if a dock is too full for incoming cars, it would only be full with other cars not reaching dealerships, and that doesn't seem to be the case. The Tyne Dock car compounds ( I can see them from the end of the street with binoculars!) are pretty much empty - outgoing stuff from Nissan Sunderland is well down and incoming stuff is moving quickly because car sales are well down and those dealerships are keen to get those cars to customers and bank their money.
Yeah, could be given the circumstances that Pharma have got their sh!t in a sock better than most.

I’ve been surprised just how shut down a lot of German industry has been actually, I think I kind of assumed that as they appeared to be handling the pandemic better than us that they were somehow more open, but apparently not.

The VW factories did stop for a long time, and I think a lot of the HQ staff are still working from home as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so after what felt like forever (1st world problems... Right?) the status page for my order has advanced to the point where the car now has a VIN identification. Which I guess means the car actually exists in one form or another.

I will phone the dealer on Monday (if I can get him, he is somewhat elusive) and see if there is any actual danger of me being able to part with money for the car and then maybe even get the car in exchange.

German customer service is not what you might call... Cosmic.

The non-binding date (how I came to understand the meaning of the Non-Binding part of that phrase) was supposed to be 1st June. Obviously that's not happening, but if they can get it sorted before the start of July, then that would at least be something.

The good news is, that during the intervening time of sitting and twiddling my thumbs, waiting for some news, any news at all, I have managed to get a wall box installed in my garage, so it looks as though the granny charger that I bought with the car will go in the 'Emergencies only' bag.

😎

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a chat today with VW, at least someone who was willing to chat, but the conversation went no where and I am starting to get a little suspicious that there is a bigger problem with building cars than they are letting on.

I am wondering if this is a perfect storm of the computer units in various Id3's around the world needing replacing during the updates

PLUS

Pandemic, boat stuck in the cannel and... Pandemic... Meaning shortage of semi conductors.

PLUS

The Just-In-Time stock control method meaning the above left VW with zero back-up plan if their stock fell below critical levels.

I mean, it's all theory, but what I do know is my car was supposed to be ready by 1st June, and now they are pushing back to the first non-binding date they gave me, which is mid-August, and they are being very cagey if that can be achieved.

All in all, everywhere I go, everyone I talk to at VW, wants to help me, but then when they do come back to me they are all non-committal about saying anything at all. Which makes me think that they have no idea when cars will start rolling off their production line.

A fact they probably want to keep away from the stock market.

I think in the next few weeks we may see some startling news about VW production figures.

·
Registered
596 Posts

I'm guessing this is the issue that's currently getting worse.
Makes you wonder why they've had such bargains on in the UK recently for the ID3 - demand seemingly excèding supply.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts