Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know you can buy a cheap EV for commuting, and if you're prepared to have every long journey take twice as long as it should, you're still ok (we have a zoe for that) - but any decent long range EV, even second hand (and we all know which cars I'm talking about) are more than a few quid more than those cheaper affordable ones, and much more than an aspirational brand quality ICE car; but unfortunately, it appears that no matter how good your ICE car (even if a PHEV that for a year has been an EV) you can't get an EV out of your brain. Dealer finance is normally expensive, I don't like leasing, even though I know it makes sense, so what options are there to minimise purchase costs that can be used to at least help make a Niro, or a Model S, affordable'ish ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
Just get the state to cover your other living costs.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeh, thanks for that !!!! you're right, but what I was hoping for from this thread was some pointer to a finance deal, or third party PCP, or something other than the normal dealership stuff; I appreciate the humour, but seriously, I feel like the way pricing is going, I may never actually be able to afford a decent high spec EV with a decent range. And that's worrying for some reason.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We took a personal loan from m&s bank. £20k for 6 years at 2.9% apr, cost of borrowing £1800 over the term, £302 per month.

However, I'm planning paying it off after about 22 months (about 3 months from now), for a total interest cost of £900.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,062 Posts
I may never actually be able to afford a decent high spec EV with a decent range. And that's worrying for some reason.
When you work that out let me know as I feel the same but will not divert other expenditure at present as I can't see the need.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
Buy it on PCP and get the best of the deal and then as soon as you can take out a low interest loan and pay off the balance.

You've still got to pay for it, but you get the dealer's PCP offers and then not have to faff about with GFV and dealer's level of interest. Especially useful if you intend to keep it for a long time (not so bad either if you only want to keep it a couple of years)

I intend to do this with the MG towards next September when SWMBO gets her pension (she's a kept woman at the moment :eek: :unsure:)

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
279 Posts
We took a personal loan from m&s bank. £20k for 6 years at 2.9% apr, cost of borrowing £1800 over the term, £302 per month.

However, I'm planning paying it off after about 22 months (about 3 months from now), for a total interest cost of £900.
Excellent advice however, with the current situation I don't expect to see such a deals in the near future. No one offers money in such a low rate at the moment.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Buy it on PCP and get the best of the deal and then as soon as you can take out a low interest loan and pay off the balance.

You've still got to pay for it, but you get the dealer's PCP offers and then not have to faff about with GFV and dealer's level of interest. Especially useful if you intend to keep it for a long time (not so bad either if you only want to keep it a couple of years)

I intend to do this with the MG towards next September when SWMBO gets her pension (she's a kept woman at the moment :eek: :unsure:)
If next Sept is when she qualifies for a pension, you might consider maintaining her 'kept woman' status for a couple more years. We did that after OH took early retirement on a reasonable occupational pension and it resulted in a 10% bonus on her OAP for rest of life. (I haven't checked that DWP still offer that deal)

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
Delay (defer) your State Pension

Your State Pension will increase every week you defer, as long as you defer for at least 9 weeks.

Your State Pension increases by the equivalent of 1% for every 9 weeks you defer. This works out as just under 5.8% for every 52 weeks.

The extra amount is paid with your regular State Pension payment.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
She seems high maintenance.

Can you trade her in as part of the deal?
Sounds like there may be negative equity involved.

Reactions: cah197
1 - 20 of 166 Posts