Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed my Credit Card from my Tesla account and added a Pre-Paid currency card containing £s and euros. Did a test session at a Supercharger today and the card was successfully debited in the correct currency and amount. I won't be in Europe until Nov, but I am hoping European Supercharging is taken in euros from the card.

If it works, the card removes the possibility of currency conversion bank charges and I can buy euros when the exchange rate is favourable.

·
EGGY
1,210 Posts
Yup your card will be charged in the currency of the country your charging in

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are you saying that if i supercharge in europe, i will be charged in euros rather than £? I have lost all my free miles and have to go to europe soon.
Have you considered getting a Revolut card? I suspect Mick4545 has something similar.

It's a standard debit card, no fees to use abroad and you can even take money out from ATMs for free (up to a certain amount per month). I've got one purely for making purchases abroad and it's really useful. Just deposit money into your Revolut account and then change however much you want into Euro. It will essentially create a separate Euro account and any purchases you make in Europe will be deducted from that account. The great thing about Revolut is that when you convert currencies, it uses the international exchange rate, not some expensive watered down rate that banks provide. In other words you're not getting ripped off.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
86 Posts
Or register something like a Halifax Clarity card to your Tesla account.

I've been using one for over 5 years when visiting our Daughter in the USA, also when on an overseas holiday. It always charges at the exact official bank FX rate for the instant you use it & there are no fees. The smartphone app confirms the charge in £ almost instantly every time & when I divide using local currency it's spot on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I considered Revolut but daily cash withdrawal limit was not enough. With my Centtrip card I can withdraw 500 euro per day. The problem I would have with Clarity, is it uses the FX rate current at the time of purchase. With my card I keep an eye on the FX rate and buy euros on the rare occasions the £ is doing well. Centtrip also use the official rate with no spread. Cash withdrawals cost £2.50 and there is a charge to load the card.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Starling Bank don't charge currency fees either. I have been very pleased with them and moved my business account to them too.

I avoid prepay cards. A friend had one for a trip to visit us in USA and it got blocked due to suspected fraud, so he couldn't use it for most of his visit and had a lot of money on it.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
I bank with starling , really good bank in my opinion, I’ve got euro account with them too as I’ve got family in Ireland, so I just transfer money in to that and then transfer directly with family. It works well.

If you link your usual starling card to the euro account there’s no conversion or charges for spending in euros and you just transfer from gbp account to euro account. So any euro purchases come from the euro account, any gbp purchases come from the gbp account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts