Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I sympathise.

There are several issues here IMO.

1. There was an ICE blocking one of the bays. I hope that they also got a ticket. I assume that they would have but who knows!

2. The rule is that you must be actively charging to use the bay.
I don't have an issue with the rule. It stops people from parking there for hours on end having only plugged in to top up. Why should any EV occupy a bay if they are not actively charging? Once they are at 100% then they should remove their car to free up the bay for someone else.

Obviously this is inconvenient. The ideal situation is to just park up and return to the car when you are going to leave and that would be fine if there were charging posts at every parking bay. As it is, EV bays are limited and so it makes sense to only allow EVs to park there if charging.

I am a keen advocate of restrictions at all EV bays at the moment that requires the EV to be actively charging when parked in a EV charging bay. Every EV driver knows the state of charge when they plug in and so they know roughly when the car will be fully charged. They should return to their car in time to move it once it is fully charged freeing the bay up for someone else. One exception to this might be where bays can be booked or reserved in advance.

For me this is one of the problems at railway stations, airports etc. If someone plugs in and disappears all day or even for many days at airports then it ties up an EV bay blocking it for other users. I am not in favour of charging posts at locations such as this tbh while the numbers of bays are limited. Of course, if there are enough bays, or if there is a booking system, then the issue does not arise.

3. Signing is simply rubbish!
If you are going to have restrictions then the restrictions must be clearly and unambiguously signed at the location. That sign says nothing about the requirement to be actively charging. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of whether the restriction should be in place the sign is wholly inadequate. I would expect to have the PCN cancelled on that basis alone.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Obviously I agree with Paul's point #1 above, but I do with #2 too -- I think this is important. the spaces should be for charging use. Now there is a further refinement in what happens if charging completes whilst away... that's more tricky. It very relevant with something like a rapid charger though where say parking a car for a 3 or 4 hour shop in ikea is tying up a RC when others could use.... but fundamentally it should be for active charging use. And yes #3 should clarify

But in terms of this issue mostly I think it's user error. Unfortunate, but those bays should be for 7kW charging and if can't charge, don't use.......... harsh?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see from the original thread on pepipoo that the PCN states that the offence was "parking in an electric vehicle's charging place during restricted hours without charging". On the thread, the feeling is that since it was Sunday, ie outside restricted hours, the PCN is invalid on that point alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts