Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Dan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm handing back my Nissan Leaf 24KW as the PCP is over and getting the new one. Somebody has to come and inspect the car before I hand it back. I've had a scratch fixed on the front left as it was easy to see.

I've never handed a car back before on PCP and don't know how in-depth they go when looking around. I'm worried about a couple of little issues, but don't know if they come down to general wear and tear. I feel like the finance company want to get as much money out of me as the car is at least £2000 in negative equity.

Do you think I should get the below issues fixed? Or are they classed as general wear and tear?

Car air fresher melted to the plastic!
20180218_160542.jpg

Car mat is worn down.
20180218_160547.jpg

I don't know whats going on here. Maybe I scuffed the alloy?

20180218_160559.jpg

Random dent, no paint damage.

20180218_160646.jpg

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The first and last photo would concern me.
The dent looks to be past BVRLA guidelines, but would be easily fixed by a dent guy.....so get it done....
The worn mat and the scuffed alloy shouldn't be issues under BVRLA guidelines.
Download them and have them on you when the guy inspects.
Basically, look upon handing back as selling.
Would you sell it like that....?

·
Dan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically, look upon handing back as selling.
Would you sell it like that....?
Yeah, that's a good way of looking at it.
I see the dint at the back as not a big deal. But then my idea of a big deal and somebody else is different. I'll get a copy of the BVRLA guidelines.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Yeah, that's a good way of looking at it.
I see the dint at the back as not a big deal. But then my idea of a big deal and somebody else is different. I'll get a copy of the BVRLA guidelines.
From memory, BVRLA guidelines are that every panel is allowed a dent roughly the size of a 20p piece.
No paint damage.
It looks like that dent is bigger than that.

·
Dan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do mechanics go* into the compartment in the top picture? If you look closely enough, you can see it's been forced open and damaged by a crowbar or some other instrument.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Dont get anything repaired, they will charge you £55 for the scuffed alloy, the car will go straight to auction they wont and dont fix anything even though they charge you for it, paint less dent removal guys would clear that dent for about £80, interior is fine, just clean the car in and out, top tip if you have any fine scratches on paint is spray WD40 on it and rub it in covers all but the worst scratches temporarily.

Family member of mine is a professional car detailer and repairer, he says he often gets cars ready for PCP/Lease returns and his experience is that quotes for repair work are always more from 3rd party companies than if you just hand the car back and get the manufacturer/lease company to do it, you can always squabble and argue the toss as well.

Also worth noting is if they just pick up on 1 scuffed alloy they wont likely even charge you for it as they often dont if the car fails inspection on just one thing.

Also if they are late or miss the appointment moan and they will cancel charges, I was messed around on my first Leaf return and got all charges dropped.

They are not expecting a showroom car back, people often make this mistake however in the terms and conditions of the lease you will find that they expect the car to be cleaned prior to inspection.

Dont sweat it and let us know what they charge you for.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Paintless dent removal, watch this, these guys are amazing although I dont think you need to worry about getting your dent sorted though.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Do not get any repairs done before you hand the car back. Four reasons for this:

1) The inspector may not pick up on something = no charge
2) If they do, the finance company may decide it's not worth chasing = no charge
3) You can argue the toss (RCI are known to back down easily) = no charge
4) If all of the above fail, the damage charges are far less than what you could get the work done for = reduced charge

As a guide, I've attached to this post what Lex Autolease charge for damage. RCI's prices will be different but it's a good guide. You'll note that some of the charges are absurdly low (£30 for soft trim repair? You'll pay hundreds to get it done yourself).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes belstar backing up what I said previously a nice clean car inside and out and your normally good to go, I you follow Ian Sampson on youtube, just look at how bad his leaf was and all he did was get it cleaned and valeted and wasnt hammered with much extra charges other than extra mileage and his Leaf was dog rough, quite literally as his dog had chewed and scratched away at the interior, it even eat a seatbelt! ha ha so if he got away with that your likely going to be OK although he did replace the seatbelt.

·
Registered
943 Posts
As a guide, I've attached to this post what Lex Autolease charge for damage. RCI's prices will be different but it's a good guide. You'll note that some of the charges are absurdly low (£30 for soft trim repair? You'll pay hundreds to get it done yourself).
Thanks for that sheet. I explicitly asked them (Lex) and they point blank said they do not publish anything and that I cannot "negotiate" in advance of return.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks for that sheet. I explicitly asked them (Lex) and they point blank said they do not publish anything and that I cannot "negotiate" in advance of return.
Strange - one of the things that they boast about is that they are transparent with their charges; that sheet is for consumption by Lex's clients. I just asked for it and they sent it.

I don't know what Lex are like with negotiation, but when my Lex car went back it had numerous bits of damage that were over what the BVRLA guide would accept (including a dent on the bonnet from a roof tile) and they charged me nothing.

·
Dan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today was the day I handed back my 24kw Nissan Leaf :(

From my pictures, they picked up on the dent on the rear panel and the stuffed alloy. The guy inspecting the car was thorough and knew all the places to check that people wouldn't really consider. He found two dents from seat belts being trapped in the door when being closed. Not visible from the outside but if you open the door and look closely you can see it.

The stuffed alloy was £55, and each dent cost £48. The inspector also picked up on the car having no charging lead bag, but I never got one when I first collected the vehicle. I think the prices are reasonable able, but I'll be disputing them anyway as I've got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The prices quoted are very reasonable and this is why I always tell people dont pay someone else to do the work before you hand the car back as 9 times out of 10 it will be far more expensive, just hand the car back and then haggle about the costs as most minor dents and scratches dont even get done as the cars often just go straight to auction, small dents are easily removed via PDR and even the deepest scratches can be polished out.

Send RCI a letter disputing the charges, also if you had any spare miles left on the car use that as leverage as they will charge you if you go over miles but you dont get anything back from them if you hand the car back with miles to spare and you have paid for those miles in your finance already so its a good lever, be polite with them and I bet they drop the dents at least.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,875 Posts
He found two dents from seat belts being trapped in the door when being closed.
That must be a favourite. 2 weeks ago he got my Zoe for 2 on the passenger side. You said very thorough, I counted the number of times he walked round my car --- 15 times!!!!

He got:

The misalignment of the rear bumper driver side. (Zoe owners check yours, you'll find it exactly the same. About 5 mm out from the body panel, at least it is on all the others I've checked)
The 2 'seat belt' dents.

·
Registered
308 Posts
How the hell can seat belts cause dents?? If you are referring to the buckles then this must take some doing to line them up to get trapped in the door. I'd go nuts if any of my passengers were inconsiderate enough to allow this to happen to any of my cars!!!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,875 Posts
They've got to find something to justify their existence. It's such a faff. Hopefully they'll be enough left in the current Zoe to part exchange.

Here's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
How the hell can seat belts cause dents?? If you are referring to the buckles then this must take some doing to line them up to get trapped in the door. I'd go nuts if any of my passengers were inconsiderate enough to allow this to happen to any of my cars!!!
You would think but I also know someone who had to pay up and he never even knew it was there until he handed the car back so I guess it happens often enough. I am surprised by your angry reaction, “it must take some doing” but your passengers are inconsiderate if it does happen? I don’t think many people look for obstructions before closing a car door.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts