Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PCP on my 30kw Tecna is ending at the end of March next year and I have the option of keeping it after making the final payment of around £11k. My payments throughout the 3yr term have been £250pm and I think, come next March, if I decide to keep the car, I would have paid around £21k for the car in total, including the £500 deposit.

I’ve had zero issues with the car apart from the rear axle tyre wear problem. Nissan replaced the axle and the tyre but I suspect that the issue has not been fixed and may well appear again in the next couple of years.
Can someone give me an idea of how much it’s likely to cost to change the axle when the car is no longer in warranty?
Lastly, is the car worth keeping? I would like a car with greater range but nearly 90% of my journeys are easily handled by the Leaf right now so I’d probably just be wasting the cash anyway for a few extra bells and whistles that the newer cars have!
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I purchased 30kWh Accenta for 15k. I don't think you can find any Leaf30 under 14k. Makes little sense not to keep it. You could always sell it at a later date

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'd hang on to it at this point unless you have some pressing reason, not disclosed, to do otherwise. I'm thinking of keeping my (secondhand PCP) Leaf 24 at the end of the PCP term. Originally I planned on handing it back.

Though we are (by necessity) a two-car household. Might struggle a bit if it (Leaf 24) was our only car - but even a Leaf 30 would be a noticeable improvement, and maybe just about good enough as a sole car.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm on similar numbers with a 13k balloon.. mine probably won't be worth that in April when it's due, although the shortfall won't be half as much as I expected this time last year. Currently my prospect is (a) cough up, and possibly be left with a large debt if the second hand price drops too fast, or (b) buy a cheap runabout for about 2k and wait for car manufacturers to make affordable EVs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it’s a difficult one! I honestly expected that we’d have a bunch of better value EVs out by now and we could pick and choose but apart from the 60kw Kona, nothing else seems to be on the horizon..
No Model 3 on the horizon so no onus on anyone to do anything quick, I guess.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Similar to everyone else. Will almost certainly keep it at end of PCP in May next year.
Then if the Model 3 is even vaguely affordable (the Tesla stretch), one of those when they arrive.

·
Yes I'm a girl! Girls can be EV nerds too ;-)
649 Posts
Hi All, I'm in the same boat at the mo. Got a Leaf 30kwh ending in March 2019. My main issue is I have a very high mileage already on mine currently 54k. I do a lot of miles!

My concern is however that I'll be up to 100k in a couple more years and do we know how far the battery will last after that? I'm not sure.

Everything seems so expensive at the moment, and no real options either. I need at least a 30kwh, tbh a 40kwh would make all the difference.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It's just a thought here, but have you checked the settlement figure on the website/app?
I'm wondering if settlement now might be better than waiting until March, especially when you wouldn't have any further payments to make.
IE discounted early settlement figure + saved payments = better than waiting.
No harm checking.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Everything seems so expensive at the moment, and no real options either. .
Yup....
My only option for staying in an EV was a cycle of three year old Leafs on PCP.
Which I wasn't prepared to do, so I'm back to an ICE for a few years.
Really sad.

·
649 Posts
It's just a thought here, but have you checked the settlement figure on the website/app
I'm wondering if settlement now might be better than waiting until March, especially when you wouldn't have any further payments to make.
No harm checking.
Thank you I hadn't even thought of that. Now I did install that app in the beginning and I haven't even used it since...… time to have a look :)

·
649 Posts
Yup....
My only option for staying in an EV was a cycle of three year old Leafs on PCP.
Which I wasn't prepared to do, so I'm back to an ICE for a few years.
Really sad.
Yeah I get that. :-( Lets hope it gets better soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts