Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my amperas ICE was running unevenly on low rpm and on higher rpms it lost part of power.
i got alert code P 0171 indicating lean gas mixture.
after a check i found that my pcv membrane broke...
when u want to replace this membrane u replace whole valve cover which cost from 200€ up.
im thinking is there any easy and cheap fix for that?
any ideas??? hmmmm

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Was about to say the same. I can't believe that you have to replace the whole cam cover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im working on a diy replace pcv membrane plan, but with all this covida virus and school from home just havent got time yet.
i will open pcv cap (welded plastic) without dismantling valve cover and then replace membrane or just make new from quality rubber.
if this fails i will just plug the intake manifold hole then vent crank case gases out with some hose - i dont want to inhale all this gases in cabin...
will make some pics to help others...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First i want to say that the best way to solve pcv membrane problems is to replace a valve cover. That way u replace oil air separator membrane and cover with gasket and i ordeted new one from aliexpresss for 40 euro, but if u want some diy solution then u can replace just membrane (5 euro) or do a pcv delete to test ice if u really have that problem. For now i did just pcv delete and my ampera ice works great again.
1.with a metal saw blade cut off just the upper portion of the cap.
2. Take membrane out
3. protect holes with rag
4. Grind the edge of cap
5. clean grinded edge and under membrane with alcohol
6.put some steel wool under it for filtering oil wapors
7.make a rubber or plastic or metal cover with 8 mm hole in center and 8mm hole on a side for pneumatic attachment.
8. Insert M8x25 mm screw in the center hole and pneumatic attachment on side hole
9.apply silicon glue on grinded edge of a cap
10.gently screw all in it will make its own thread.
11. Press gently cap down on the edges so glue grabs
12. attach hose on pneumatic connection and put hose all the way down behind intake manifold and secure it with zip ties
13. Wait few hours for glue to harden
Now ice will no longer pull extra air and work normally, gasses will go out under the vehicle.
I did it with 4 mm rubber cap but plan on doing it later from stainless metal 1 mm thick.
Tested this with 20km drive on a steap hill and all works great.
I pla to add a oil can on the hose if i see oil come out of it later.
IMG_20200321_133008.jpg
IMG_20200321_133020.jpg
IMG_20200321_134347.jpg
IMG_20200321_140427.jpg
IMG_20200321_140438.jpg
IMG_20200321_150550.jpg

IMG_20200321_151454.jpg
IMG_20200321_152154.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts