Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just pedantry, or is anyone else annoyed when people on forums, or in press articles can’t tell the difference between kW and kWh, or use them randomly and interchangeably?

Sometimes these silly errors appear in the web pages of companies that should know better…

Example below..

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,608 Posts
They are referring to the amount of energy the charger has available.

Personally I only fuel my Land Rover at places that can deliver fuel at rates of over 5 gallons per minute!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not realised that IV's chargers were energy limited.

Some of the battery based chargers with poor grid connections may be supplied by a local battery of 50-100kWh.

50kWh is more energy than any car could need on a typical 20% to 80% road trip charging session.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
619 Posts
I had not realised that IV's chargers were energy limited.
They are not. I suspect tongue-in-cheek sarcasm is being attempted here.

And yes, (to OP) it's disgraceful that manufacturers and avertisers can't tell the difference between kW and kWh, muddying the water for those of us who are already confused.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,135 Posts
They are not. I suspect tongue-in-cheek sarcasm is being attempted here.

And yes, (to OP) it's disgraceful that manufacturers and avertisers can't tell the difference between kW and kWh, muddying the water for those of us who are already confused.
It's because such things are written by marketing departments, not normal people.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,135 Posts
Getting the message across that power and energy are two different things isn't helped by VW's display that creates the new unit of "kWh per hour", either. I get what they were trying to convey, but it still looks wrong to me.
That's up there with VIN number and ATM machine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reminds me of a recent BBC article (they've corrected it now) which referred to a battery production capability in GW/h - so Joules per second per hour.... Those new to EVs or electric-power seem to struggle with kW (note the lower case k, not the often seen KW or Kelvin-Watt) being a rate, and therefore it must be kW per hour rather than kWh as a unit of energy. Hey ho, it does frustrate me but for ICE vehicles you don't often see the rate at which fuel can be supplied or the size of a fuel tank as both are largely irrelevant.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,073 Posts
Is it just pedantry, or is anyone else annoyed when people on forums, or in press articles can’t tell the difference between kW and kWh, or use them randomly and interchangeably?

Sometimes these silly errors appear in the web pages of companies that should know better…

Example below..
View attachment 146939
No it is not pedantry. It is a matter of equitable justice and the fight between universal good and evil.

How can people be so dull in the head and still have wealth enough to buy such a car?

It is a fair and proper complaint of injustice that those with low mental agility can command more of society's wealth (thus power) than others with higher mental agility?

Same with apostrophes. It's pretty F-ing simple. Yes, people can make mistakes, but they also seem to complain bitterly when it is pointed out and they then dig in and refuse to amend their error.

I would condition this, however, that it is not the nature, or necessarily even the frequency, of errors, but the response time to discovering those errors and the behaviours in amending them.

Just my POV. ;)

·
32,073 Posts
People everywhere are at this moment scrabbling to see if "ones errors" should have an apostrophe in it....
Yep, and I have acted to eliminate the questionable attribute by merely deleting it for the avoidance of dispute. I was always taught that pronouns don't get apostrophes and "one's" would imply "one is". Not going there today, so deleted instead! ;)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I bet we EV owners are a real hit at parties…

”In conclusion, that is how I feel about incorrect units of measure for energy. Now, let me tell you my thoughts in regards to the correct use of apostrophes in pronouns… oh, you have to go stand over in the other corner of the room now? Well, nice chatting with you…” 😃

·
32,073 Posts
I bet we EV owners are a real hit at parties…

”In conclusion, that is how I feel about incorrect units of measure for energy. Now, let me tell you my thoughts in regards to the correct use of apostrophes in pronouns… oh, you have to go stand over in the other corner of the room now? Well, nice chatting with you…” 😃
Depends what parties one goes to. The ones I've been at, the ladies love to listen all night to all the technical details ... oh, wait ... that might have been a dream ... :unsure: :sneaky:

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,192 Posts
There is no hope. We've just had a grid connection application returned by the DNO (local electricity grid operator) because it exceeded the 3kW allowed. It was a 3kW battery system with 8 kWh battery.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
There is no hope. We've just had a grid connection application returned by the DNO (local grid operator) because it exceeded the 3kW allowed. It was an 8 kWh battery system (with 3 kW inverter).

Surely if it's G98 compliant then they can't refuse it, can they? I thought that any installation that was export limited, in accordance with G98, to no greater than 16 A per phase (~3.6 kW) just required notification to the DNO after installation, rather than approval as required under G99.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
329 Posts
I am very clueless when it comes to all of this electrickery stuff. I have a degree but Roman literature or population genetics aren’t a good foundation for understanding how all all the kilowatt stuff works. I married a physicist for a reason!!

I am genuinely in awe of the technical knowledge of so many people on here and wonder if anyone has produced a simple guide to what kWh and kW and amps and volts actually mean in the context of an EV? Sometimes I feel like I shouldn’t be driving one as I don’t know how it works 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 - 20 of 69 Posts