Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I3 Rex, Dec 2013, Solar Orange, DC Prep
21MY Tesla Model 3 SR+
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, has anyone managed to purchase a PWS speaker and fit it to thier Model 3 in the UK ?

I have a 21MY and believe that the wiring harness is there for the speaker however the speaker was not fitted by Tesla from new for UK cars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read somewhere last year that someone had used a wireless doorbell to alert pedestrians of his presence.That struck me as an interesting cheap solution.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've always thought the best would be a bicycle bell, or something similarly polite (rather than honking a car horn). It's only a problem at very low speeds when pedestrians do not realise there is a car coming. Honking them sounds rude, when a little alert sound can be enough. Above, say, 20mph there is enough road noise anywa.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,628 Posts
The Ampera was good in that you had the normal horn on the steering wheel but also on the end of the indicator stalk was a push-button that give a muted 'toot toot', only two so you could not keep the button pressed continuously, just enough to grab the attention of a wayward pedestrian.

·
21MY Tesla Model 3 SR+
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ampera was good in that you had the normal horn on the steering wheel but also on the end of the indicator stalk was a push-button that give a muted 'toot toot', only two so you could not keep the button pressed continuously, just enough to grab the attention of a wayward pedestrian.
Totally agree, the Ampera really handled it well with the second subtle "toot toot" horn. Great car that wasn't given a chance by Vauxhall and GM, not even bothering to export the Gen2 to the UK :(.

As for the Model 3 speaker, I did speak to SC but the didn't seem to know a lot about it's availability at this time.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You can fit a speaker but it won't do anything without Tesla enabling the software, which they're thinking about but probably won't do until July when new cars start shipping with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can fit a speaker but it won't do anything without Tesla enabling the software, which they're thinking about but probably won't do until July when new cars start shipping with it.
It seems that when you connect a speaker to the wiring loom and do a two button reset the pedestrian warning system starts working. it has been tested and proved working by a member of the tm3uk owners fb group

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Only until the car first sleeps, then it's dead until the next reboot. It's more of a bug that it works really.

·
21MY Tesla Model 3 SR+
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess we will have to wait for Tesla to come up with an upgrade path for us.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Guess we will have to wait for Tesla to come up with an upgrade path for us.
Hopefully Elon and the Team can come up with something for us.
However I am already drooling at the month about the new Model S PLAID+ :eek: Not that I can afford it. :p

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks good. Have you fit one in your car? Is it an easy fitment? Is it the 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm one (I presume 4 Ohm)?
Its the 4 ohm one & no I've not fitted it yet only due to the weather not being very friendly.
If you look on youtube there are several videos showing how to get access & it looks quite simple.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Easy to fit but as mentioned it will not work without tesla turning on the software at their end, which they don't do at the moment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts