Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have high frequency deafness so I cannot her the tone, but having asked my wife and son if they could hear the car making any sort of noise to warn people it was there, I was told there was no noise. I took it to Ancaster at Eltham and was told it was a fairly quiet tone. Not really much use if pedestrians can't hear it!
I am sure it is faulty so I am taking it back for further examination. Ideally it should make a noise that ALL can hear but obviously there must be a balance. I don't want my neighbours complaining my car makes a noise .
Those of you that can hear it, what does it sound like and is it loud enough to be heard?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I can definitely hear it from inside the car - hard to describe what it sounds like, something like a louder motor whine really, I guess.
It only works up to 19mph (you probably already knew that).

I turn mine off on almost every journey as I hate hearing it as I approach junctions or roundabouts.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi David, It probably isn't faulty. It isn't very loud, it's not allowed be under Noise Pollution laws.
To me it sounds like one of the brake pads is rubbing the brake disk. If you find a quiet road, wind the windows down and drive very slowly. Then press the VSP button on the dash (above your right knee) on and off slowly.
You'll hear the difference then...

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a sort of whistle. I'd love to be able to modify it to something unexpected.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You have 4 tones on the zoe and I hate them all it's always off. People and the driver should look were there going as they don't hear me on my bike either and I have not run anyone over yet

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I would suggest NOT to turn the sound off, and certainly not by modifying the circuit, There are people out there who will be only too willing to be run over, then run off to a Solicitor.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
There are regulations being considered to require to noise to be standardised across the EU to a louder level. That will put it within MOT requirements.
I differ from Qdos in that I consider that Pedestrians should have right of way when using roads, but that's just a personal opinion. My previous post was more concerned with the proven manner in which after an injury in a road incident, vehicles are examined by both the Police and Insurers, for any evidence of possible fault. Turning the sound off could be considered a modification under the insurance policy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't hear the noise either. Maybe I'm also deaf at that frequency?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
According to Nissan the tones of the warning noise were carefully chosen to cover a very wide hearing spectrum to cater for those with partial hearing. Part of the design included placing the noise maker so that it is virtually inaudible to the driver and does not distract. I know on my car I can only hear the noise with the windows wide open on an empty road, but it is clear when driven past me by others.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I cannot distinctly hear the VSP from inside so I see no point in turning it off. It is quieter than virtually all ICE cars so what would be the point. An unexpected pedestrian might appear at any time. I have had no problems with the Leaf but in my converted car I did have a cyclist swerve in front of me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts