Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Have you noticed more pedestians or cyclists not noticing you in an EV?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had lots of occasions where elderly dog walkers have been happily plodding along the middle of the lane near where I keep my horses and not noticed that I'm behind them at all. It's usually the dog that looks around and the owner eventually cottons on. Haven't hit any yet though. I'd rather not get blood on my car.

Would also add that my horses really don't like the pedestrian noise made by the Leaf. Both are usually totally road safe but both were upset by the noise and only calmed down once I turned it off. Wouldn't like to see what would happen on a narrow lane with an unsuspecting EV driver getting a bit too close to a horse :( I'm hoping I can desensitise my two but now make sure I have it turned off if I see horses on the roads.

·
Registered
916 Posts
People are desensitised to ICE traffic noise in city traffic,IMO....they tune it out,it's background noise..Add in personal music players,headphones,and walking around locked in on a small screen or in conversation,it's Darwinian to forget to look out for imminent splatting..It's going to take a while for the absence of sound to be as meaningful on the roads as ICE Noise should be! Maybe it's time to bring back "Charlie says" or the person walking in front with the Flag?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not only that...it's relatively high pitched, which is the hearing range that one loses soonest with age isn't it? Certainly the aging population pottering around Grange and Cartmel don't seem to hear it.
The Zoe's tone can be changed by a long press on the sound on/off button..dunno if the alternative options sound any better from a pedestrian's perspective,but I tried cycling them around and went back to the "original" one..maybe needs an add your own MP3 fx option?:D

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
NCP multi storey car park today, that has been my only noticeable difference, only because people not on footpath and just meandering around.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have to say I have never had an occasion when my Ampera has not been heard by a pedestrian. Yes it's quiet but when on the move it can obviously be heard quite satisfactorily.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have to say I have never had an occasion when my Ampera has not been heard by a pedestrian. Yes it's quiet but when on the move it can obviously be heard quite satisfactorily.
Agreed....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, first post so be nice. I do have a chip that runs off ECU to make "real car" noises, can't get any manufacturers interested ( although Lotus tried to use the same thing but I have US patent). Anybody know anybody who may be interested, or maybe anybody who just wants a chip ?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome Kevin, great invention, I want one. Would it be upgradeable with downloaded MP3s ?
Anyone got suitable noise/tune suggestions for a Zoe ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
330 Posts
I'm sure it was posted on here before, but I think this clip of an electric delivery scooter is hilarious:

Reactions: Paul
21 - 31 of 31 Posts