Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idea: Renting out your private charging spot (i.e. your driveway) when you want and anyone on the network could use it to charge up and you get paid for it (all done via an app). Do you think something like this could work? I'm an app developer and have been toying with the idea. I don't actually own an EV yet - I wanted to buy an i3 a few months back but I live in a high rise and don't have many places near me to charge, hence me thinking of this idea (got a Golf instead). If I did have an EV (something with 200+ miles) then I'd probably only need to charge up a night or two a month so fast charging isn't really needed. I know things can get a little complicated with this idea but I think if done well it could potentially work. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Think about the sort of person that’s willing to leave their car in your drive for 8-12 hours.

Then ask yourself why they don’t have a home chargepoint. Or why they live within walking distance of your house.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I wouldn't do it (either way), but I'm constantly surprised at what other people will do for a couple of quid 'profit'.

However, the chances of a suitable pair of current EV owners living close enough seems low, and once it gets high enough to work public charging will probably make it unnecessary. But in the interim it's probably worth putting some time into - but not your life savings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Rugbyleague! still just testing out the idea to get peoples honest thoughts. @cah197 living in London, it isn't always easy to live somewhere where you can easily have a home chargepoint installed - when you say think about that sort of person, what comes to mind for you? Do you consider it fishy/untrustworthy?

·
Registered
29 Posts
liftsharing is another good example of sharing resource to save money and the environment. I can't see much call for it in the Lake district but surely suburbia would welcome? Might help people who have no home charging available?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@mikegs it would only be a side project if it's something that people might want to use. I'm thinking it could be useful in more dense areas (i.e. London) with lots of high rises where you may have a decent number of public chargers in time but having options won't hurt either considering it'll be low risk with no up-front cost if you already have a home chargepoint set up.

Someone working during the day could offer up their spot whilst they're at work. Another person could potentially offer it up over night if they're able to leave their car on-street a day or two a week without it being too much hassle. Down the line, perhaps even install chargepoints for free in areas of high demand and take a percentage of revenue if it make sense economically.

Personally I feel the more options the better when it comes to EV charging which appears to be a big pain point for many people (me included). However with all that being said, I'm still keen to get more points of view and learn more from actual EV owners :)

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Thanks @Rugbyleague! still just testing out the idea to get peoples honest thoughts. @cah197 living in London, it isn't always easy to live somewhere where you can easily have a home chargepoint installed - when you say think about that sort of person, what comes to mind for you? Do you consider it fishy/untrustworthy?
Lampposts. Think about all those lampposts.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,033 Posts
I've read of something like this before but I am sure the point of it was that you are not allowed to resell electricity, (not sure if you can be licensed to do so) so it would have to be parking space rental with free electricity if you see what I mean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@cah197 I wonder if lamp posts will cut it though once we get solid EV saturation and EV's become cheaper than their petrol counterpart - but good point. Again, this idea is low-risk so if other easier more accessible methods of charging become available, then it's good for everyone!

@h8ten very good point - looks like you can resale but for the same price paid, so you'd likely have to make up the margin with a 'parking fee' of some-sort as you've suggested, but it doesn't appear to be showstopper.

·
Registered
345 Posts
There is limited need for it, really only works in cities. As above, if you can book a car parking space with EV charging then that would fit the requirement but that makes for expensive charging I would have thought, so really negates any cost saving from having the EV.
Better to visit a rapid charger and fill to 80% then park wherever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@cah197 @G.a.r.y both good points. I think it raises a good point to look at the economics. i.e. if it's x% cheaper to use the service and charge slowly over night nearby (due to off-peak pricing) vs. fast charging a little further away likely during the day which may become more competitive to get access when EV's start to saturate the market more, which option might offer more convenience (for those who don't have the luxury of having a home charger).

From a sustainability point of view, I think a household with a chargepoint may be able to facilitate charging for a portion of their street (assuming no public chargers have been installed in the area) so I am warming to the idea of installing them for free for suitable households where there is demand down the line. The tipping point would be if the price is right for both the household (for having cars in and out of their drive) and driver (priced low enough with minimal friction to compete with fast chargers).

The overall feeling I'm getting is that it isn't a useless proposition but it wouldn't be an immediate preference either if you already have decent access to a charger.

On that note, I would love for the current parking apps to add this feature, I'll feel more comfortable buying an EV knowing I have a decent number of charging options. I think this is still one of the biggest pain points putting off potential EV owners.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm not sure what proportion of home chargers have a meter. Mine doesn't. If I was looking at going with that kind of scheme (I don't think I would really), I'd assume the car would charge at maximum rate for the full time it stays there. So as things go, I wouldn't accept anything under £2 per hour.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
@mikegs it would only be a side project if it's something that people might want to use. I'm thinking it could be useful in more dense areas (i.e. London) with lots of high rises where you may have a decent number of public chargers in time but having options won't hurt either considering it'll be low risk with no up-front cost if you already have a home chargepoint set up.

Someone working during the day could offer up their spot whilst they're at work. Another person could potentially offer it up over night if they're able to leave their car on-street a day or two a week without it being too much hassle. Down the line, perhaps even install chargepoints for free in areas of high demand and take a percentage of revenue if it make sense economically.

Personally I feel the more options the better when it comes to EV charging which appears to be a big pain point for many people (me included). However with all that being said, I'm still keen to get more points of view and learn more from actual EV owners :)
I dont know if youve heard of "park on my drive" and similar but this would seem to be that and also providing a chargepoint rather than just a space. I dont know if POMD have a capability to offer and filter for charging.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dont know if youve heard of "park on my drive" and similar but this would seem to be that and also providing a chargepoint rather than just a space. I dont know if POMD have a capability to offer and filter for charging.
justpark will show chargers, had a look at it in the spring when we had a trip to london

·
Registered
661 Posts
ParkOnMyDrive does in fact have an option for EV charging; sadly no where within range of Luton Airport had EV charging last I checked (as I was to park on someone's drive and get a top up while away!)

·
Registered
699 Posts
It would require the fitting of an app enabled charging point or an app controlled switch to enable payment. Domestic chargers don't have built in metering. It would be quite an expense to fit a charger with these functions without a guarantee that you would get any return. It would be simpler to operate it on an honesty system with the guest bunging and agreed amount of cash through the letter box, or just making a payment through an app. Most charge points can be turned off (mine has a key) if their's abuse.

The tax implication is interesting, street chargers charge VAT at 20%, at home you only pay 5% VAT on electricity.

Lots of terraced housing and blocks of flats tend to be clustered together, how far would someone have to walk to get to the charger? More street charging would probably be better, councils are going to have to address the need for charging in areas where you can't have home charging at some point, the sooner the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Big277wave lots of very good points, thanks for raising! I do have a few ideas to get around the metering problem cheaply and easily, but I agree, it isn't mandatory to get going and there are a few other options to disincentivize abuse. The ultimate goal would be to streamline this as much as possible and do everything through an app from start to finish.

Also very good point on the VAT, I'd be interested to crunch the numbers soon once I get all the facts together.

I 100% agree that councils do need to get it together and it would be easier, however I anticipate that we still won't have enough charge points to satisfy demand in a few years once EV's become a no brainer economically (likely true for both rural areas and cities) - I live in London and still don't have fibre in my area which was promised 10+ years ago.

The range problem will be more or less sorted so that will probably leave us with the lack of nearby charge point as the primary pain point for new buyers, the more charging options we have the better I think.

On a side-note, if anyone feels something like this might work, currently owns a home chargepoint and might be keen to get involved in a trial to test the idea out and provide feedback, feel free to send me a DM!

·
Registered
266 Posts
So imagine electricity costing up to 20p/kWh (most regular day tariffs are under that)....if the plug available was 3-7kWh, the cost to the owner is 60p-£1.40....I think you’re looking at a minimum of £2ph (as someone mentioned above).
Today the most anyone is likely to draw would be around 50-60kW, I would think....people wouldn’t generally arrive empty, and the latest EVs coming might have up to about 75Kwh batteries....but if one had a smaller Leaf of Zoe, the most they might draw could be much less, perhaps 30-40.
Things to think about:
  • How would your app differentiate between those?
  • Or would you think about an hourly charging rate rather that “per stay”?
We’ve used JustPark a couple of times. Think it was around a tenner overnight. WITH electricity, that would need to be more.
A lot of variables to spin.
Sounds more like a tweak or addition to that kind of app than one that would be easy to offer just for charging (resale of power as has been discussed).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts